Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

10-22-2008

UK/USA

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 4

lenovo T500 windows xp how to partition harddrive

2008-10-22, 17:51 PM

hey,

I have just got a T500 with windows xp preinstalled. Is it possible to split the harddrive into two ? C and D drive like my old pc ?

I don't have any windows install cd's though.

Also i have an error message reading saying there is a problem with the ATI graphics video controller and it can't install.... any ideas ?

G

Options

1 Posts

10-22-2008

United States of America

10 Signins

41 Page Views

• Views: 41
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: lenovo T500 windows xp how to partition harddrive

2008-10-22, 19:57 PM

Hi, guys.

Maybe you should get a bootable CD first(like XP steup CD or WinPE CD), or make a bootable USB harddisk in the XP that can boot the computer into DOS system. Make sure your USB disk has enough free space as much as the used in your C driver.

Then you can download Symantec Ghost and Partition Magic DOS version software, and cpoy them into USB harddisk.

Then boot your computer into DOS, and use the Ghost software backup your C driver as partition to file and save the GHO file in the USB harddisk.

Then go back to DOS  environment and use Partition Magic to split your harddrive into two. Notice that your new C driver should have enough space to be restored the OLD C driver files, I suggest that about 20G to 40G. And also don't forget to activate your new C driver as active partition in the Partition Magic software.

Then go back to DOS  environment and use Ghost to restore the GHO file to your new C driver as file to partition.

Finally restart your computer. Hope you could be success.

Maybe before you do that, you should learn some basic skill about Symantec Ghost and Partition Magic DOS version sofeware and the basic command of DOS system. But it will be easy and lots of use guide in the internet.

Message Edited by Yangguo on 10-22-2008 12:58 PM
Options

5 Posts

10-22-2008

UK/USA

4 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-10-22, 21:14 PM

Ok thanks,

I think that is way beyond my technical ability. :(

Is there no way one can just use disk management in windows.

I now have managed to get the recovery cd's but these reinstall xp with all the lenovo drives etc so it will not enable me to partition it.

Or should I just give up on the whole idea and use lenovo's backup / restore function ?

thanks,

g

Options

4096 Posts

01-05-2008

Germany

22144 Signins

317280 Page Views

• Views: 317280
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-10-23, 6:42 AM

Hello,

please use Gparted it´s a well tested program and won´t mess your service partion.

Acronis true Image is recommended for cloning your harddrive.

Do not use Norton Ghost.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 23-10-2008 08:43 AM

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms