Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1 Posts

08-20-2012

3 Signins

12 Page Views

• Message 151 of 160

Re: t410s vertical band in my LCD

2012-08-20, 21:34 PM

I am having this exact same problem with a machine for a client of mine.

Vertical lines on the screen, and now the PC wont boot.  Complete graphics failure on the motherboard. 

Its just barely out of warranty.  Is lenovo providing any sort of repair for these that are just out of warranty?

Options

1 Posts

09-07-2012

North Carolina

3 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 152 of 160

2012-09-08, 4:31 AM

Double check to see if the external monitor port will work...hopefully the graphic system could detect the external monitor and proceed with the boot display.  If just the banding issue, the same applies, the external monitor can help confirm if your graphics card and display system are working ok.

Some of the issues w/ the vertical banding is related to the LCD cable failing... This is due to the quality design of the cable. The casing placed a support foam directly over the cable and if the cable is poor workmanship, overtime it will begin to fail.

My banding appeared on the Y550 and I could make more vertical banding symptoms by pressing the front lower frame of the LCD (little to the left center).  This was noted by a few on this thread.

After disassembling (since my warrantee has expired), I noted the banding would disappear when the pressure is off the LCD cable. Pressing the cable around the trouble area would generate the banding effect.

In this case there are two options.  Buy a new LCD cable off ebay or other site.. about $15.   Or move the foam support off the cable and place it above and below cable area to create a space above the cable.  Now the LCD cable is protected and nothing touching or putting pressure on the cable.   After assembling... pressing the front frame or other area did not create any banding.

Hope this helps a few...  There should be a Video on how to disaasemble any version of Lenovo... for the Y550 the front frame has delicate snap hooks that could break if care is taken...

Options

3 Posts

01-31-2013

Atlanta, GA

19 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 153 of 160

2013-01-31, 1:25 AM

I have had the exact same issue with my thinkpad T410s.

Vertical stripe with weird color would appear exactly as described in the lenovo document and it would temporalily disappear when I press around the bezel area where the LED SUBCARD is located underneath.

I have used it for almost 2 year and half but the symptom appeared not long after I purchased the machine maybe a few month?

I am a graduate student and use it everyday for my thesis work. I haven't done anything about it until now, since I simply couldn't afford to send it to service depot (I had only 1 year depot warranty) and wait for it delivered back and the problem was going away at least temporalily as I was pressing around the bezel.

Until yesterday I didn't even know this is a well documented and widespread problem.

Today, I opened it up and disassembled the lcd panel and found something interesting.

When I looked at where the LED SUBCARD is located, there is thin foil with screw hole that seems to be designed to be connected to the led subcard. Maybe for grounding? I am not so sure but It looks to me that thin foil is definitely  there to be connected to the led subcard with the small fixing screw.

But when I looked at it, it actually wasn't properly connected. It was simply hanging there. I unscrewd the subcard fixing bolt, made sure the thin foil is connected to the subcard and tightened the subcard fixing screw again. By the way connecting this thin foil is not even mentioned in the service manual....

After that I powered the laptop on and played with lcd panel for a whild before I close the bezel trying to see if the problem comes up again. I tried pressing the edge of panel, slightly twisting the panel but the band wouldn't appear. I closed the bezel and I tried again to reproduce the problem, but It seems like the problem is now solved..... It's been 2 hours and the horrific vertical band is not appearing no matter how hard I try it.

I will give it some time and I will update if the problem rise again...

Options

1 Posts

05-29-2013

Panama

7 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 154 of 160

2013-05-29, 22:25 PM

wrote:

I have had the exact same issue with my thinkpad T410s.

Vertical stripe with weird color would appear exactly as described in the lenovo document and it would temporalily disappear when I press around the bezel area where the LED SUBCARD is located underneath.

I have used it for almost 2 year and half but the symptom appeared not long after I purchased the machine maybe a few month?

I am a graduate student and use it everyday for my thesis work. I haven't done anything about it until now, since I simply couldn't afford to send it to service depot (I had only 1 year depot warranty) and wait for it delivered back and the problem was going away at least temporalily as I was pressing around the bezel.

Until yesterday I didn't even know this is a well documented and widespread problem.

Today, I opened it up and disassembled the lcd panel and found something interesting.

When I looked at where the LED SUBCARD is located, there is thin foil with screw hole that seems to be designed to be connected to the led subcard. Maybe for grounding? I am not so sure but It looks to me that thin foil is definitely  there to be connected to the led subcard with the small fixing screw.

But when I looked at it, it actually wasn't properly connected. It was simply hanging there. I unscrewd the subcard fixing bolt, made sure the thin foil is connected to the subcard and tightened the subcard fixing screw again. By the way connecting this thin foil is not even mentioned in the service manual....

After that I powered the laptop on and played with lcd panel for a whild before I close the bezel trying to see if the problem comes up again. I tried pressing the edge of panel, slightly twisting the panel but the band wouldn't appear. I closed the bezel and I tried again to reproduce the problem, but It seems like the problem is now solved..... It's been 2 hours and the horrific vertical band is not appearing no matter how hard I try it.

I will give it some time and I will update if the problem rise again...

I first found this problem with my T410s last week, when I used it for more than two years...

I feel that it should be a problem with the LED subcard (as you described) rather than the LCD itself. Since it is out of warranty, I will try to fix it by myself before considering to buy a new one.

, may I ask whether you did experience the same problem after you fixed the LED subcard? Thanks a lot.

Options

181 Posts

12-13-2008

United States of America

329 Signins

2407 Page Views

• Views: 2407
  • Message 155 of 160

2014-08-19, 20:14 PM

I know this is an old thread but did Lenovo ever step up and issue a recall on this issue. My T400s is well out of warranty but still works well and has been exhibiting the vertical band problem for some time. The only saving grace is that I keep it connected to an external monitor when in my office and can press the bezel to clear the issue when traveling.

Options

181 Posts

12-13-2008

United States of America

329 Signins

2407 Page Views

• Message 156 of 160

2014-09-02, 18:27 PM
Thanks Lenovo!!
Options

63 Posts

11-25-2008

Spain

73 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 157 of 160

2014-09-11, 19:55 PM
Thanks Lenovo ? Did they repair ? I had the issue replaced just now. My Lenovo is way too far out the warranty (2008 laptop) but screen was replaced in warranty 3 years ago. Do I have chances of a free replacement ?

181 Posts

12-13-2008

United States of America

329 Signins

2407 Page Views

• Message 158 of 160

2014-09-12, 18:50 PM

Amazingly enough they repaired my circa 2009 T400s original screen (and secondary fan) even though I was a bit out of warranty... Talk about great customer service!. 

Options

63 Posts

11-25-2008

Spain

73 Signins

491 Page Views

• Views: 491
  • Message 159 of 160

2014-09-13, 13:24 PM

Well they didn't for me, but I was way out of warranty. Mine was a T400 but screen was replaced after 2 years so probably they put the same one T400s were carrying

1 Posts

05-14-2016

United States of America

15 Signins

126 Page Views

• Views: 126
  • Message 160 of 160

2016-05-14, 22:01 PM

I'm having the issue with the band down the middle of my screen on my T410.  Is Lenovo admitting this is a defect in manufacturing?  Its out of warranty but I really need it fixed becuase its unusable like this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms