08-18-2008

San Diego

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 3

t500 displayport capabilities

2008-08-18, 3:00 AM

So digital out has finally arrived to the T series in the form of DisplayPort on the T500! But the details seem to be lacking.

Do you have to choose between using displayport OR the VGA-out to a second monitor (such that the desktop spans across the laptop panel and an external monitor), or can both outputs be used simultaneously so that you can span the desktop across the laptop panel and TWO external monitors (one on VGA out and the other on displayport)?  The ability to support two external devices concurrently would be awesome!

(Until now the only way to do digital out on Thinkpads appears to be through a port replicator/dock, but even those provide only limited DVI-out resolution compared to the display port (revision 1.0) max of 2560×1600, which BTW looks to be more than the HDMI 1.2 (which Dell is shipping) max of 1920x1200... way to go Lenovo!  Now if I can just find out about the Displayport/VGA multiple monitor capabilities I'll be sold..)

Options

6 Posts

08-18-2008

San Diego

5 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: t500 displayport capabilities

2008-08-18, 3:06 AM
I should also mention that although DisplayPort plans to support multiple monitors over a single cable in a daisy-chain configuration, it is not yet implemented so I assume the hardware in the T500s lack any such capability for the forseeable future..
Options

1 Posts

09-23-2008

Toronto

15 Signins

69 Page Views

• Views: 69
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: t500 displayport capabilities

2008-09-23, 15:42 PM
I asked the exact same question from my Lenovo Dealer Rep and this was the response:

One can in fact use both the Displayport and the VGA at the same time for two external monitors, there would be no display on the Thinkpad itself when two external monitors are used however, and the Thinkpad would need to have discrete graphics memory.

As for the daisy-chain multi-monitoring cable, we do not have any type of cable that we sell, but the T500 should be compatible when it is available, it would be best to check compatibility when the cables are available.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete