05-06-2009

arizona

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 5

unusual problem

2010-01-19, 21:01 PM

I  own a t500 now for 1 year. In one year I have encountered this problem three times. The problem is when I finish surfing the web or doing work ,when I shut the lid off it should automatically go to sleep mode right? Here is where the problem comes in. When I open the lid the following day I noticed that my battery is completely drained. It seems like the laptop is still on and never went to sleep. The second time this happen I thought nothing of it because it doesn't happen all the time. It felt the battery and it was hot. This second incident happen when I tried to use my computer 2 hours after I shut the lid. The third time was last night I didn't use it until the next day and notice that my battery is drained completely. My battery is good and it is normal.
What could be causing this?

Options

69 Posts

07-31-2009

Hudson Valley

238 Signins

2779 Page Views

• Views: 2779
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: unusual problem

2010-01-20, 5:02 AM

Can you see if the event viewer shows that  the machine has resumed from sleep unexpectedly?

I have been running Windows 7 on my T400s for a couple of months now with no problems, but twice this week, after hibernating  the machine (unplugged from AC and with about 50% charged battery) the following morning I got the screen indicating that windows was saved to disk due to the battery reaching a critically low level.    Battery was almost completely depleted overnight.   Coincidentally,  I recently ran the Media Center application for the first time a couple of days ago.

Looking at the event viewer and task scheduler history, I see that the machine resumed operation at around 3:30 AM and ran various tasks until shutting down approximately 2 hours later at 5:33 AM (due to 'battery', per the event log).  

Neither network adapter (ethernet or wireless) on the laptop has the 'allow this device to wake the computer' property checked.  So I assume some time triggered task took the machine out of hibernation and drained the battery.   With the exception of the Media Center mcupdate task (which is shown as scheduled to run at 3:00 AM), none of the tasks I examined (and there are lots to look at) have the 'allow this task to wake up computer' property set.    I suspected that mcupdate might be the culprit, but the task history shows that the task didn't run because the computer was not on AC power at the time (and the time seems to be about a half hour off).

I disabled the mcupdate task anyway, figuring that it might still be the trigger of the resume from hibernation, even though it  was ultimately not run while the machine was on battery power (mostly since I never saw this problem prior to having run the Media Center application).   I'll have to wait and see if this fixes the problem.

Options

6 Posts

05-06-2009

arizona

4 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 3 of 5

2010-01-20, 21:17 PM

A couple of the things you mention are the things I did when I put it on sleep.  When I shut the lid I unplugged something from the USB and another one is unplugging the power cord.   Those 2 thing might have caused  it to wake up from sleep.   I will look into the event viewer when this happens again.

Options

1 Posts

01-15-2010

Canada

10 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 4 of 5

2010-01-22, 20:49 PM

On my T400s, if I enable the 'Always on USB' in the BIOS my machine will not go to sleep when it is unplugged.  It will go through the motions, one beep when it goes to sleep and almost immediately one beep to wake up.  No problem when it is plugged in, sleeps normally.  Odd little wrinkle though ... when unplugged, if I remove my wireless mouse receiver, it goes to sleep normally (Lenovo claims this is normal behavior ... what a bunch of bozos).

Options

69 Posts

07-31-2009

Hudson Valley

238 Signins

2779 Page Views

• Views: 2779
  • Message 5 of 5

2010-01-22, 21:33 PM

I haven't had a recurrence of the battery rundown since I disabled the mcupdate task.   

Still puzzled by a couple of things-- why Microsoft doesn't see fit to provide a notification that opening the Windows Media Center app (and choosing the default 'quick setup' option) will enable a process that causes a hibernated  machine to resume operation in the middle of the night (scheduling a daily media center update task seems uncalled for, especially when there is no tuner installed and no TV schedules need updating), and why (after resuming) the machine never became idle again and never went back into hibernation, but ran its battery down instead. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete