Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

11 Posts

07-15-2010

Australia

9 Signins

270 Page Views

• Views: 270
  • Message 1 of 9

1 month old Thinkpad T510 random reboot issue.

2010-07-15, 11:07 AM

Hi all.

I have Thinkpad T510 just 1 month old and it restarts randomly without any warning. I have been experiencing this issue since last one week. In the beginning, I was experiencing this issue only once so I thought problem might be with windows. Then, I tried ubuntu (linux) and still same problem exitsts. So I gave call to lenovo technical support and ask for refund and told me they can refund only to DOA and within 10 days of arrival. They told me to send laptop to service centre for repair. My laptop is hardly 1 month old and I hardly use it for 15 days. If I send them for repair then they will change m/bd which i don't want for 1 month old laptop.  I told them that If i have to replaced m'bd within 1 month then I would have gone for refurbished laptop.

I told them for refund/replacement for laptop and they refused. Anyone has any experience with refund/replacement for 1 month old laptop. I told rep that I am planning to go for consumer protection and rep rudely replied to me that you are free to go. sorry for my poor english. Any help is much appreciated.

Options

5491 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39820 Signins

762270 Page Views

• Views: 762270
  • Message 2 of 9

Re: 1 month old Thinkpad T510 random reboot issue.

2010-07-15, 12:31 PM

Hi alphabeta, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your T510. I've moved aside your duplicate post in the T400s shutdown thread to keep the discussion about your question focused here.

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

5491 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

39820 Signins

762270 Page Views

• Views: 762270
  • Message 3 of 9

2010-07-20, 7:14 AM
USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Options

11 Posts

07-15-2010

Australia

9 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 4 of 9

2010-09-03, 7:04 AM

update on the issue.

I have contacted lenovo call centre and ask for replacement/refund several time over the phone and refused. I contacted manager on the phone and still got same answer. (It tooks three weeks of time)

Then, I send email to the manager in Lenovo customer care and ask for the same and refused to give refund/replacement and ask to do repair on the laptop. (another three weeks of time)

Later, I contacted fair-trading and complained about the issue and demanded refund on laptop. They contacted Lenovo and replied to do first check on laptop and then they consider for replacement/repair. I contacted Lenovo again to arrange laptop for diagnostics and they still offered me only repair and refused to do refund on laptop. After long argument, we agree to do first diagnoses of the problem and to decide later on the refund. (another 3 weeks)

I know that problem is with faulty m/board and they need to replace m/board to rectify the fault. I specifically told that I don't want to do any repair on the laptop. My argument is that If I have to replace a motherboard or any repair  only after 15 days of usage than I rather purchased a refurbished laptop for half price!  and there is still no guarantee after m/bd replacement that it won't fail in the future.

I'll wait for the diagnostics results. I 'll proceeds to the tribunal if they still refused to give me refund on new laptop.

----

Angry and frustated customer.. (Those who consider to buy new laptop, I advised them to Think ! 510 times before you make any decision)

Options

171 Posts

07-31-2010

Canada

139 Signins

2154 Page Views

• Views: 2154
  • Message 5 of 9

2010-09-03, 12:53 PM

Did you check Windows logs to see if there's any error logged there when this happens.... that would help finding out what it is... or did you try a "restore to factory" to see if it still hapens with original software or nohing else...

I can undesrtand your frustration especially since I also had an issue with my brand new T510. Fortunately it proved out later that it was a driver and I was able to fix.

My decision on this is that in the future I would buy only from brick&mortar stores that offer 30 days no questions asked replacement/refund. Some of them also offer their own "extended warranties" with the option of getting the product replaced instead of repaired. It may get more expensive than the manufacturer warranty but in the end it looks like you may get what you pay for.

Nap.

Options

11 Posts

07-15-2010

Australia

9 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 6 of 9

2010-09-04, 1:56 AM

I've check with the software and its not software issue. I checked with linux live cd and still same think happens. I believe if it is software issue than same problem woulldn't happen in two different operating system.

Now i couldn't start my laptop. whenever i starts my laptop, it goes into infinite reboot cycle. Before I started in safe mode but same thing. I m sure that it is a hardware issue.

Options

2451 Posts

06-05-2010

Rosario, Santa Fe, Argentina

5571 Signins

76138 Page Views

• Views: 76138
  • Message 7 of 9

2010-09-04, 6:52 AM

Call customer service. Your laptop need technical assitance.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Options

11 Posts

07-15-2010

Australia

9 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 8 of 9

2010-09-06, 5:07 AM

I send laptop for diagnosis (not for repair, only for diagnosis)  to repair centre. I will post here the issue with the laptop once I heard from repair centre.

The issue is not with the repair but with the refund on laptop. Laptop is barely 1 month old and this issue happened so I asked for refund or replacement with another unit.

Say, if they need to replace m/bd to rectify the problem, then its same as refurbished laptop purchased at reduced price. Also, there is still no warrrenty that this problem won't occurs in the future. I believe this problem is known to Lenovo from last two years and it happened in old models. They couldn't fixed this issue in old model and didn't rectify in new model. Instead, I was reading another post in the forums and I learnt that this is a recurring problem.

All I want is refund on 1 month old laptop because company didn't supplied the laptop of merchandise quality.

Options

11 Posts

07-15-2010

Australia

9 Signins

270 Page Views

• Message 9 of 9

2010-09-09, 10:24 AM

hahaha...

another experience from cheap company.

when i sent my laptop to service centre three days before, i told them to only check fault inside the laptop and not to do any repair to the laptop. they send me eail notification in which it it clearly mentioned that laptop send only for  fault diagnosis.

today, i gave a call to chech service status and technitian told that motherboard is replaced inside laptop and it was picked up by courier for delievery. i was shocked that they didnt inform me about fault and replaced motherboard without my knowledge. also they did repair in two days which often takes atleast two to three weeks.

tomorrow i will give a call to customer care and see what they says on this.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms