cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lyndon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,741
Message 1 of 16

15.4" WXGA TFT with LED Backlight - What are people's impressions?

I've had my T500 with WXGA TFT LED Backlighting for about a week and I have to say I am very unimpressed.

The Thinkpad works fine but the screen is terrible. Everything on the screen is washed out and videos are pixelated.

I wish i'd never chosen it. I'm considering sending it back to get the non backlit LCD.

What experiences have other users had with it? And for that matter with the standard WXGA?

Cheers

Lyndon

izzy
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,678
Message 2 of 16

Re: 15.4" WXGA TFT with LED Backlight - What are people's impressions?

I just looked at one yesterday that had the same problem.  Everything is washed out and pictures are pixelated.  Even the icons on the desktops are rough on the edges.

If you change the drivers from ATI to Intel it looks even worse.

gkreis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,465
Message 3 of 16

I AGREE. The screen is awful.  I like the T500 in every other way, but the LED screen is terrible. It is washed out and getting the slightest off angle and it goes away.  There is banding in the gradations. I am a photographer and thought I needed the LED screen, but it is WAY worse than the one on my old Acer Aspire 2000.  I'd keep using my Acer if it weren't for processors speed being too slow.

Clearly the PC laptop vendors are not paying attention to photographer's needs, at least in an affordable laptop.

I guess I'll have to take the 15% restocking fee and chalk it up to experience.  There is so much to like about theT500, but this screen is like going back to pre-2000... sad.

Lyndon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,446
Message 4 of 16

Hi gkreis,

What is the 15% restocking fee?  Am I able to send it back to get the monitor changed?

Cheers

Lyndon

Eudoxus
802.11n
Views: 4,421
Message 5 of 16

It seems to me that there is some misconception. As far as I know LED backlit TFT screens are available only on T400 and not on T500. At least that is something i can learn from Lenovo home page. Further, both types of LCD panels are backlit, but in one case theya are CCFL backlit and in other - LED backlit.

Anyway, your complain about LED TFT panel is misconceived as there is no possibility that you have one on your T500.

Present - Lenovo Yoga 720 13IKB/ 81C300AQLT
Past: ThinkPad T500 2242-CTO P8600 / 4GB RAM / WSXGA+ / HDD Fujitsu 7200rpm 1TB / 6 Cell Sony / Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
ThinkPad Tablet 2

ThinkPad X61s 7669-3KG Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
cpush
Punch Card
Views: 4,417
Message 6 of 16

perhaps it would help for you guys to run a system information utility (like everest) and let us know the manufacturer and model of your particular panel.
Highlighted
gkreis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,397
Message 7 of 16

The 15% restocking fee is Lenovo policy, unless you can negotiate it out with them before you buy.  I heard they drop it if you return it and buying something more expensive....

My T500 has the LED panel.  Apparently, it is a very recent addition to the options.  It is certainly very bright, but it is not appear evenly lit.  I blame that on the odd way the panel handles off axis performance, because I can't imagine an LED screen being anything but uniform.

I've since complaining run my Eye-One screen calibrator on it and totally fixed the incredible blue shift in the display (though I knew that could be fixed).  I am thinking I can limp by with this laptop while I look for the 'one' that has a decent screen.  Then this puppy will be up on eBay.  (I wish I hadn't bought upgraded the video card, but maybe some gamer will want that feature)

I started thinking about why I want to take the $175 hit on price and start the search all over again.  I'll just use that money to soften the loss of selling it on eBay someday.

gkreis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,341
Message 8 of 16

PC Wizard, from CPUID, shows the panel to be 154WX7-TLA2.  That is an LG panel, supposedly, but when I find it on their website it says it is a 12" LED screen.  Strange....
gkreis
Paper Tape
Views: 4,337
Message 9 of 16

Since Lenovo custom builds the laptops, why not stock some ips or pva screen options?  I'd pay an extra $300 or $400 to get one made with that technology.  I am sure some photographers would like the compromise WSXGA format, though if my only option was WSXGA+, I'd struggle with those small fonts if it meant glorious photo editing....
Lyndon
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,335
Message 10 of 16

Hey Eudoxus,

You may not have the option of a LED screen in Latvia but in Australia it is offered on the T500.

Gkreis,

Instead of unloading your T500 you could do what i'm thinking of. You can buy a WSXGA+ LCD (Serial No: 42T0488 or 42T0423)

from ACS Parts or some other aftermarket genuine Lenovo parts distributor for around US$475. That would be an upgrade to a higher definition panel and be cheaper than buying a new laptop.

Cheers

Lyndon

Message Edited by Lyndon on 01-12-2009 01:40 PM

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors