Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 1 of 19 (76,199 Views)

1802 Unauthorized network card

[ Edited ]

Hello everybody,

I wanted to upgrade the wifi card in my t420, from what it came with(just said ThinkPad b/g/n on the receipt), to the Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 (Puma Peak) 3x3 AGN since i needed to be able to use a 5ghz network. I specifically choose that puma peak one, because i saw in the t420 manual that it was supported, and i'd heard of issues with unsupported cards. 

So i finally got the wificard, and even though i picked a supported one i get this message:
1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the miniPCI netwok card (8086/422B/8086/1101).
System is halted

What have gone wrong? And could i be because this card wasnt ordered directly from lenovo, but from some random danish vendor who had it? I've tried to google around, but without luck.

Only thing i can think of trying right now is taking it out again and tripplechecking that its seated properly.

Hope you guys can help me, and i hope i wont have to hack the bios whitelist or something, seeing how this network card should work without that.

Thanx in advance!

/Chris 

edit:

after some more searching and finding this link http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-69757 it would appear that the issue is due to the card not having been bought directly from lenovo. but they dont have the card available in my country (denmark). which basically means im screwed and would have to find some sort of workaround solution. fml Smiley Sad

Guru
Message 2 of 19 (76,034 Views)

Re: 1802 Unauthorized network card

[ Edited ]

Yes, this is expected. Each computer manufacturer has their own whitelist for wireless cards for standards compliance. Hence, a non-Lenovo card will cause this error

You'll need to use a modded BIOS, which may or may not be available for the T420 yet.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Message 3 of 19 (76,032 Views)

Yeah alright. Thx for confirming.
You wouldnt by any chance know more of the actual risks of flashing and using modded BIOS, vs flashing and using the regular ones, would you? Smiley Happy Wanna know if its worth the risk, or if i should just try to return that wificard, get my money back, and just live on the internet tethered from my phone while at school. 

Fanfold Paper
Message 4 of 19 (75,518 Views)

I bought a T420 after being ASSURED in no uncertain terms by a sales rep, and a tech support rep I called when I didn't trust the sales rep, that Lenovo doesn't restrict the cards a Lenovo laptop can boot up with.

Lenovo sales and support are misinformed. See this chat record as just one example:

Thank you for contacting Lenovo Sales Chat. My name is xxxxx Happy to help you today.

Connected to xxxxxx
Hi. Sorry to trouble you, but I'm about to order a T420 I've saved in my cart and I have one final thing to clear up before I order it.
Hello, I will be more than glad to assist you
I've been told that Lenovo laptops (and IBM laptops before them) used to refuse to start up with a BIOS error if you put a 3G or wireless card in them that wasn't made by Lenovo.
Does that still happen?
I have a 3G card from my Dell I want to use in my new laptop. I can take care of the drivers, etc, all I need to make sure of is that the Lenovo won't actively refuse to start up with the 3G card installed.
I am unaware of such issue, we have not come across this issue till now
You can go ahead and place the order.
That issue could be a customer review, that must not be a problem with the machines these days.
OK, so if I put my 3G card into the T420 it will start up? (I know you can't guarantee the 3G will work, I just need to know the laptop will start)
Excellent, I'll order.
Yes, it will work
I will be online for you, please place the order and let me know the order number and customer number, so that I can confirm the order from my end
Let me know if you face any difficulty placing the order, I will check it from my end.
I'll have to get payment sorted out with reception. Got an email address?
Sorry, I do not have an e-mail.
Well, how much time will that take?
Sorry. I have to get the final approval with reception/management so I can't put it in right now, it'll be later today. Do you have a rep number or reference I can put in when I place it?
Oh! I just found this:
It says "All Thinkpads" are affected. That's not good.
I have just checked it, well in this case I will provide you the contact number of Lenovo Technical support
As the information is updated 1 year ago.
You can check for the current one with Tech support and place the order
Sorry for the inconvenience
131 426 is the contact number of Lenovo Technical support and they work Monday through Sun 9 am - 9 pm Australian EST
No worries, I'd rather be sure. I'll call them.
Thank you
Sorry, there is no reference number, you can go ahead and place the order, you can contact us for any further assistance regarding the product.
Is there anything else that I may assist you with Lenovo products today?
Nope, that's about all. Thanks and good luck.
Fanfold Paper
Message 5 of 19 (75,517 Views)

I just spoke to another support rep. They again assured me there was no restriction. My T420, on my desk refusing to boot with a non-Lenovo card in it, disagrees.

Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,274
Solutions: 1,357
Message 6 of 19 (75,514 Views)

@ringerc,

unfortunately Lenovo DOES place a whitelist of which Lenovo sourced mPCIe cards you can use in the ThinkPad system. With the normal BIOS firmware, you are not able to boot the system with an aftermarket sourced cards (unless they are from Lenovo with a Lenovo FRU printed, and the FRU is listed in the parts list).
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Fanfold Paper
Message 7 of 19 (75,508 Views)

@lead_org

Thanks. Alas, my laptop's telling me about the whitelist the hard way:

... because I believed the support reps, went ahead, and purchased it.

Angry now. Very, very angry, because the store doesn't say anywhere "3G ready (so long as it's a lenovo branded card)", the spec doesn't mention the restrictions on mini-pci-E cards, etc. Since I got repeatedly misdirected by support and sales people, this is an oppurtunity to make Lenovo make this right.

Fanfold Paper
Message 8 of 19 (75,503 Views)

@ColonelONeill

BTW, I've never seen another vendor have this restriction. My 3G card worked great in the Dell I bought it in (obviously) and an Acer machine. Non-Dell cards work fine in Dell machines - I replaced my wifi card in my XPS M1330 with an upgraded Intel Advanced N part off eBay (which amusingly happened to be Lenovo branded) and it worked perfectly, thankyou very much.

This is just Lenovo scamming customers for money, and I'm now an extremely angry new Lenovo customer - hopefully soon ex-customer.

Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,274
Solutions: 1,357
Message 9 of 19 (75,484 Views)

HP also have whitelists, Dell doesn't.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Highlighted
Fanfold Paper
Message 10 of 19 (75,469 Views)

@lead_org

Thanks, I didn't know HP did this too. Dodgy.

Blog post on this matter here. http://blog.ringerc.id.au/2012/06/lenovo-sales-and-support-reps-dont-get.html

It's certainly not an FCC requirement that they actively prevent their machines from booting with 3rd party cards, as many other machines without this misfeature are FCC certified. Lenovo can't sell systems with random 3rd party cards installed without recertifying them, but it isn't trying to do that and that isn't the problem. In practice, it means 3rd parties can't re-sell a Lenovo laptop with a 3rd party card and claim that the combined bundle is FCC certified, and that's about it.

I don't live in the US and the Australian certification rules are different anyway. I just resent their redirection of blame to the FCC; this isn't an FCC issue, it's weak excuse for a cash grab and (if we're being charitible) an attempt to reduce support costs. It's like the DVD CCA claiming that DVD region coding is copy protection because it happens to rely on a separate feature (DVD CSS) that is intended for copy protection. Pretty laughable.

If they want to reduce support costs, just have the machines' support tools "taint" the machine when it has a 3rd party card in it. Diagnostics tools would modify the codes they returned to give to phone support with an embedded indicator that there's an unsupported configuration. Remote diagnostics tools would flag the machine. Have the machine play a different boot-up beep audible over the phone when a 3rd party card is installed. There are lots of much less customer-hostile approaches if reducing possible support burden is an issue. I'm not convinced it has anything to do with it, though.

Now, time to see how the firmware update bootable ISO is packed. I'm reasonably handy with the EFI developer toolkit and a disassembler; let's see just how hard it'd be to come up with a reliable patch for their EFI firmwares. Assuming they're not digitally signed, which alas they probably are in these Secure Boot days...

Top kudoed Authors