cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hudson123
Paper Tape
Views: 1,075
Message 1 of 2

2100 Detection Error on HDD0 on my t420 thinkpad. Hard drive shorted?

Hey guys, my drive broke down recently  2100 Detection Error on HDD0 on my t420 thinkpad. I tested the hard drive on another computer as well via sata cables and it isn't turning on. So I figured on buying another HDD right? Well I have been looking up online about this issue and I saw that another possibility for harddrive malfunction could be my motherboard, data controller or something else shorting the hard drive. So I don't want to buy another hard drive and have it be shorted again. So my question is whether I am free to buy another HDD or if something is shorting my hard drive and if so how can I test to make sure that nothing in my thinkpad is shorting the hard drive. 

Specs:

Lenovo Thinpad T420  refurbished i7 8gb ram

HDD-2.5"-SATA (some generic looking hardrive I can't anysort of brand on it ) pic attached

otheos
802.11n
Views: 1,061
Message 2 of 2

Re: 2100 Detection Error on HDD0 on my t420 thinkpad. Hard drive shorted?

It's a Hitatchi 500GB. They are dirt cheap used ($15-20) or you can at last upgrade to an SSD and make your laptop 5 years younger.

Back to your issue, though, If the HDD does not start on another computer, it is most likely the HDD that is the problem. Can't you borrow another HDD to see if it works with your laptop? If it does, SSD is your sensible purchase.

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors