cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiggercoco
What's DOS?
Views: 1,906
Message 1 of 5

2100: Detection error on HDDO (Main HDD)

is my T420 dead?...can buying a new SSD get it going again? (Currently Samsung)

tiggercoco
What's DOS?
Views: 1,900
Message 2 of 5

Re: 2100: Detection error on HDDO (Main HDD)

Just wondering if this is SSD related or Motherboard related?....should I just get another SSD or stay away from SSD and go back to a regular drive?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,882
Message 3 of 5

Hi

1. Check out SSD firmware upgrade on the Lenovo and SSD manufacturer support sites
2. Make sure laptop BIOS version is up to date

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

tiggercoco
What's DOS?
Views: 1,880
Message 4 of 5

BIOS is locked and requires a password so I have no access to it, this item was bought cheap off Ebay.

I'm not tech savy, would the simplest thing to do would be to buy a new 2.5" regular drive and slot it in or do you think it will produce the same error? it seems these errors come up most with Samsung SSD's used in conjunction with these machines.

Fortunately I had nothing of worth on the drive.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,864
Message 5 of 5

You can check out BIOS version w/o its access. As well the drive fw version. What's the current BIOS version? If it's old enough you might face issues in the future.

There is a chance BIOS protected laptop will allow to upgrade the BIOS. Drive fw upgrade, usually, needs laptop to boot up from the external media. Are you able to choose boot drive buy F12 pressing?

Or contact with Lenovo authorized provider, they might help with BIOS upgrade and password for fee.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors