Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gte124w
What's DOS?
Views: 25,138
Message 1 of 8

2102: Detection error on SSD2 (M.2)

I got a new T440s with a standard disk hard drive. My coworker gave me a Crucial SSD 512GB drive to swap in its place. I imaged the current drive on to the SSD and inserted it. Upon boot, before the boot sequence I receive the 2102 error. There is nothing in the SSD2 slot, as we didn't buy this option.

The theory in my workplace (tech firm) is that I may have accidentally turned power on while swapping the drive while no drive was in the primary slot. How/where in the bios do I keep the machine from looking into this slot to boot? Currently what happens is the error is thrown and I have to hit escape to boot windows. This is a minor inconvenience, there is no loss of functionality, but when powering up on a dock or rebooting, it requires user presence. Thanks for your help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,961
Message 2 of 8

Re: 2102: Detection error on SSD2 (M.2)

t440s might have three slots for drives - one sata III 2,5" and two m.2 slots. Usually new laptops with HDD are shipping with cache m.2 SSD which is placed in the 3rd slot.

Since error 2102 is msata drive detection related I'd suggest to check out your laptop configuration and remove small SSD since you have primary SSD drive. But at first check out the function of small SSD drive - cache only or/and hibernation partition storage. And disable appropriate features for that drive.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

gte124w
What's DOS?
Views: 24,957
Message 3 of 8

Well, the secondary ssd slot which I think is m2 is empty. We didn't buy
the laptop with that option since we were going to put in a primary ssd. I
don't think there's three slots.

Can someone point me to where in the boot options or in the bios I may look
to see why the machine is looking in the m2 slot? I can't find it.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 24,953
Message 4 of 8

The cause of error 2102 isn't a looking for cache drive but hardware error of that drive.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

cbrunisholz
What's DOS?
Views: 21,259
Message 5 of 8

There are two m.2 slots on the X240.

one is on the back when you open it up.  The second is under the board just beow the memory on the back side of the card reader.  That is the part you need to replace.

pjwitt
What's DOS?
Views: 7,614
Message 6 of 8

from what i read on other forums, if you let your laptop sit for more than a wk or so, the CMOS battery goes dead.  Its possible you can reset the laptop by sticking a pin in the tiny hole, (bottom side of laptop) and that may fix it.. i ended up unpluggin battery connection and unpluggin the cmos battery, as well as, doing the reset.  That seem to fix the issue.  

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,601
Message 7 of 8

The CMOS battery doesn't go dead in a week.  It will last years.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chrisjmeyer
What's DOS?
Views: 6,936
Message 8 of 8

I have a 1TB HDD+16GB SSD hybrid drive in a T440s. I have been experiencing this issue for quite a while now. I finally decide to purchase a Crucial MX500 1TB SSD. I cloned the original drive to the Crucial. After installing the drive, no boot. I think I finally found a thread that suggested creating a bootable Windows PE and repairing the boot table on the cloned drive. Hope this works. The odd thing is that even with the new SSD drive not booting, I still receive the detection error every time I reboot. There must be some sort of on board M.2 SSD. Is this the 16GB SSD in the hybrid drive? I thought it was part of the HDD. How do I disable this to prevent the detection error? I can't seem to find the correct location in the BIOS setup. Thanks for your help. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors