cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 937
Message 1 of 8

500MB Lenovo installed SSD (mfg. by Samsung per device manager) is not recognized by Samsung s/w

My company (bless their heart) bought me a T440s with the 500Mb SSD (installed by Lenovo).

Per Device manager this drive was mfg. by Samsung and lists the ID string:

device SCSI\Disk&Ven_SAMSUNG&Prod_MZ7TE512HMHP-000\4&90e12bd&0&000000

Yet the Samsung SSD managment tool:  "Samsung Magician" does not recognize the drive ....

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/support/downloads.html

Is there a Lenovo branded tool for this drive?

I don't seem to find one here:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-t44...

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 900
Message 2 of 8

Re: 500MB Lenovo installed SSD (mfg. by Samsung per device manager) is not recognized by Samsung s/w

Lenovo doesn't offer the such tool like "Samsung Magician". Only fw updater is in the list.
I can't explain why Samsung's sw doesn't support its own OEM disk. Probably it's a bug of sw settings.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 890
Message 3 of 8

Re: 500MB Lenovo installed SSD (mfg. by Samsung per device manager) is not recognized by Samsung s/w

Thanks x220 ...

My company did not mind paying a bit of a premium for having the drive come pre-installed in the machine and with the OS tuned to the config ........... but I would have expected the OEM utilitiy toolset to have worked  ... Smiley Sad

Also I note that the factory preload includes the "Thinkvantage Active Protection" system which seems quite odd for an SSD - Smiley Tongue

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 887
Message 4 of 8

There's not much you have to do to them, anyway.  Turn off defragging, turn off any power setting that is set to spin down drives, ensure that write cache buffereing and write cache buffer flushing are enabled, and re-run Windows Experience Index (which will do those two anyway, generally). 

You could also create an over-provisioning partition at the end of the disk if you want, but there's not a consensus about that.  If you don't plan to ever get close to filling up the disk, it's not likely to be an issue.  An OP partition is usually  10% of the drive capacity in unallocated space at the tail end of the drive. 

But the drive will outlast the PC anyway, so it probably doesn't matter.  Current consumer drives are testing out to about 1000 terabytes worth of writes.  You'll go through several Thinkpads before you can accomplish that.

jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 851
Message 5 of 8

Thanks Skoop!

Change power plan to never “sleep” the drive in either battery or plugged mode

Uninstalled “ThinkVantage Active Protection system” since I have no spinning drives

I would have thought that Lenovo might have done these things for me ... Smiley Sad

Not sure what defrag is going to do for me ... but it does note that my drive is an SSD...

Oh ... and they sure make the Windows Experience Index hard to find in Windows 8.1   .....

Skoop
Bit Torrent
Views: 838
Message 6 of 8

jwooden, sleep is ok.  It's the "turn off hard disk" setting that should be disabled. 

Look in "Advanced Power Settings" for your current power plan, found in Control Panel.  You'll find there a category for Hard Disk.  Set "turn off" to "Never".

It's perfectly fine to sleep or hibernate the PC.

jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 826
Message 7 of 8

skoop ... sorry I mis-spoke ... yes I made the adjustment you identified, I just said it wrong ;-)
jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 778
Message 8 of 8

I have discovered that Microsoft Defrag, in Win8.1 at least, recognizes an SSD and instead of defragging the files executes the "TRIM" command which is presumably a good thing.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors