Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rafael-m
Paper Tape
Views: 2,460
Message 1 of 5

A few questions about the T580

Hello, sorry for posting these basic questions but I've done some research and I want to make sure that I make the right decision when buying a new T580. I've been out of the loop in tech for a few years now, and I'm just learning now about hardware BIOS whitelists, etc.

I want to buy the most basic T580 model and make sure I can upgrade certain components later on when I have the money available to do so. 

1) Can I upgrade the basic model with the i5-8250u / 4GB RAM to 16GB of RAM later on? PSREF says yes, up to 32GB, and I've watched videos that say there are two slots for RAM available. Just want to make sure there is not any limitation and that I can upgrade later on to at least 16GB.

2)I already have a Samsung SSD - SATA III 2.5 inch. Since this model has a 2.5 drive I assume I can replace it with mine. But am I limiting myself in anyway for future updates if I don't get one of the NVME drives now?

3) I would possibly like to get the WWAN card later on. Is it possible to buy and add one later on? 

4) Will this computer run dual 4k external monitors, should I ever get them? 

Since money is very tight, my only priority right now would be to get the stuff I cannot add later on (3840 x 2160 screen, possibly graphics card but would have to bump up to 8350u). 

Thanks!

lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,426
Message 2 of 5

Re: A few questions about the T580

I will try to answer some of your questions. 

1) You certainly can upgrade the RAM. If you get it with 4GB, you will probably have 1 stick in 1 slot. You can add 2x8 (16GB), 1x16 (16GB) or 2x16 (32GB) to expand the RAM capacity of the notebook. For future reference, you can always check the memory configuration and memory specs for Lenovo notebooks in the PSREF. Just google "ThinkPad T580 psref". You can then download the specification of the notebook in a PDF. Here is the T580 spec sheet. From here you see there are 2 memory slots, and both take DDR4-2400 SODIMM memory modules.

2) You can always get the NVME drives later. Remember that if you go get it later, you will need to transfer your system over or reinstall. Also note that if you order it with a 2.5" platter I am not sure the m.2 interface is also shipped - in case you want to change the type of storage drive you are using. But if you are ok with using the 2.5" SSD:s you should have no problems. 

3) If you order without the WWAN, you might not get the WWAN antennas and wires installed. If they are missing, you cannot just add the WWAN module later on. See following answers in this thread for more information on this issue. However, if it turns out the antennas and wires are there, then you can do the upgrade later on. Also it is possible that Lenovo has a white list of WWAN modules the notebook can use. So you cannot just add anything. I have currently no info if there is a whitelist with the T580. If you were thinking about ordering the Lenovo WWAN card later on, then this is of course not a problem.

4) I think it can drive dual 4K displays, but hopefully someone else can confirm this. The Intel chipset should be able to drive 3x4K displays (internal + 2 external) (Here is what intel has to say on this). And the T580 user's guide tells us this:

Your computer supports the following video resolution, if the external display also supports that resolution.

• Up to 4096 x 2304 pixels / 60 Hz, with an external display connected to the USB-C or USB-C (Thunderbolt 3 compatible) connector

• Up to 4096 x 2160 pixels / 30 Hz, with an external display connected to the HDMI connector

So this would mean if you hook up the displays to the notebook itself, the HDMI connection limits the output resolution and frequency. You would need to daisy chain onto the TB3 port if you need two monitors.

Lastly, for when it is time to upgrade, remember to check out the hardware maintenance manual for the T580

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,422
Message 3 of 5

The parts list is not yet available so I don't know if there are different antenna wire sets with and without WWAN antennas

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
lenardg
802.11n
Views: 2,420
Message 4 of 5

@richk: so this would mean that if you order without WWAN, you don't even get the WWAN antennas, meaning upgrading later is nigh impossible?

Lenard | (I am a Lenovo INsider - a volunteer and not a Lenovo employee) | @lenardg
ThinkPad P52 | X1 Yoga (1st)(2nd) | Legion Y530
rafael-m
Paper Tape
Views: 2,401
Message 5 of 5

Hi @lenardg and @richk ! Thank you very much for your detailed answers. I ended up going with the setup I mentioned, minus the WWAN and got a 1080p screen, since I'm not really sure the UHD display is worth it for a screen this size. I'm planning on getting external monitors anyway. 

Thanks again!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors