Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,826
Message 1 of 13

A way to send/receive SMS messages on ThinkPad T440 with Sierra EM7345

I have a T440 with Sierra LTE. It works just fine for connecting to mobile networks.

But here in New Zealand, one of our providers also provides free wifi hotspots to customers on certain plans. In order to use this though, I have to enter a password that is sent to me by SMS.

Is there any way that I can view SMS messages sent to the SIM card that is inside my laptop?

At the moment, I have to remove the SIM from my ThinkPad (with all the hassle that involves), stick it into my phone, get the password, then transfer the SIM card back into my ThinkPad (and often as not, there is no power socket nearby, so I can't restart because I had to disable the internal battery when removing/replacing the SIM card).

So, if someone can point to a way that I can simply view those SMS messages on my ThinkPad, I will be enernally grateful.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,791
Message 2 of 13

Re: A way to send/receive SMS messages on ThinkPad T440 with Sierra EM7345

Use Lenovo Access Connections if OS on your laptop is win7, or Sierra Watcher connection manager for both OS, win7/8.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,780
Message 3 of 13

Thanks for the pointer -- at least I know in theory there is a way to do this.

Trouble is, I cannot find Sierra Watcher anywhere (or at least I can't find it anywhere that looks legitimate and that won't also install a heap of other crap on my computer).

It looks like Sierra have handed over their software-related stuff to Netgear, and Netgear have stopped providing any sort of support related to the Sierra EM7345.

I've seen some mention of "Aircard Watcher" but that doesn't sound right...

Any suggestions?

smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,778
Message 4 of 13

And sorry, I thought I'd mentioned, but it looks like I didn't.
I'm on Windows 8.1
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,771
Message 5 of 13

Do not install Watcher from Netgear, it became unreliable, just use previous versions from Sierra. Some laptop vendors offer Watcher too. Fujitsu, Panasonic have Watcher on the drivers download sites.

Also, WebToGo OneClick Internet, universal manager, supports SMS capability. But has pecular UI.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,710
Message 6 of 13

Hi, thanks for the pointers. But I'm still having no joy.

I managed to find a copy of Watcher from Fujitsu but it couldn't detect my
device and had no options for changing settings to try and get it to work.
Tried reinstalling it a few times, turning the Mobile Broadband on and off,
restarting etc. etc.
But nothing.
As for WebToGo OneClick Internet, I've had a bunch of dead-ends --
variations of "Server error. The file does not exist".

I'm frankly surprised Lenovo didn't provide the software with the computer
(they provide plenty of other rubbish I don't need; the single thing I *do*
need is notably absent!)

Any other ideas?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,696
Message 7 of 13

Use this tool.

If the page is inaccessible (by unknown reason) like for me, use google cache. 

smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,684
Message 8 of 13

A web-hosting service?

smithies
Paper Tape
Views: 6,681
Message 9 of 13

Ah, OK, it was an error. Looks like I can't access that site (I was redirected to http://error404.000webhost.com/?).
No option to view using Google cache...
I'm not the paranoid type, but I am beginning to think there is someone actively trying to prevent me from doing this...
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,659
Message 10 of 13

I knew about that error redirect page, that was a reason I mentioned google cache to try. I don't know what's happening, developer discussion forum doesn't have any worry statement.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors