Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tlmiller1976
What's DOS?
Views: 379
Message 1 of 5

A485 constant power drain when off

So there is no subforum for the A series Thinkpads (AMD processors), so since this is the "current" T series (and they're mostly the same except which processor they use) I'll post here.

I have a A485 w/ the Ryzen Pro 2500u.  Overall it's fast, efficient, and works really well.  But it NEVER stops draining the batteries.  As soon as I turn it off it continues to drain.  The only way to prevent it is to remove BOTH batteries every time I shut down, which of course is difficult since the second battery requires a screwdriver to unplug it, and it's not quick to do so.  It's been annoying me more and more because while I love the performance of the machine, I can't actually trust it to take it ANYWHERE since the first battery will be dead in 4 days and both batteries will be dead in about 10 of just setting fully powered off.  I've checked firmware and usb power share is disabled.  I've even tried installing Debian and Arch linux to see if it's hardware or Windows, no difference, so it's definitely the laptop, not the OS.  I know several other models had this issue due to firmware issues, but I have the latest firmware avaialble and it's still happening, if anything it got worse with the 1.16 firmware.

Is this something I need to open a service ticket for, or is this a firmware issue that will be corrected with a future (hopefully soon) release?  I'd really like to be able to use my laptop off a dock!!

Net7
Punch Card
Views: 353
Message 2 of 5

Re: A485 constant power drain when off

I have this, and the thing wont charge when off... for 2 weeks now I have drained it in the evening and morning, then plugged it in and went to work, came home and battery was not charged to 100%, 20-30% only...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 349
Message 3 of 5

I am not an AMD expert.  I have had bad luck the few times I have used them, but the first thing I suggest for battery drain is to turn off fast startup in windows.  It is in the control panel under power. Then select "chioose what the power buttons do".  Select the option to change settings that are currently unavailable.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Net7
Punch Card
Views: 346
Message 4 of 5

I cant speak for OP, but sleep, hibernate, and fast startup are always disabled on my work system's.

tlmiller1976
What's DOS?
Views: 334
Message 5 of 5

Since I've tried 3 OS's, 2 of which aren't Windows, that's obviously not the issue...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors