Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ChrisCan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,684
Message 1 of 14

ATI 3470 Graphics Driver

First time post...any help of any kind would be great.

I have a new T400 running Vista 32 (I got it from the Lenovol outlet...) and am trying to find a working solution for the 3470 drivers.

I have searched around a LOT and have not found a solution.  I have tried lots of different things, including Lenovo's latest switchable drivers, drivers from ATI (modded 2400 series drivers w and w/o Catalyst), installing the integrated and discrete graphic drivers separately, with the BIOS set for one mode or the other, etc.  I either get a blank screen, or a BSOD.  I should have taken it in a month ago (when I got it), and it's still under warranty, but I always update drivers on my new machines and was thinking that would solve all this.

At this point, I would be content to just switch graphics in the BIOS, if I could just get a stable system up.  In my trials, I did get it to work for a while (using ATI's latest release 9/11/09), and was able to see how much better it handles the two games I play on it (NBA2K9 and Tomb Raider Legends)- they look and play great with the ATI card.

If you have a working solution for using the discrete graphics on the T400, can you post exactly what it is?

I decided to stick with IBM/Lenovo for this purchase after researching laptops, and I hope I didn't make a bad choice.  In integrated mode, I am really happy with how it works/performance, battery life, screen (1440X900), though.  But I paid extra for discrete graphics, so I "somehow" figure I should be able to use it reliably.

Either way, if I take it in, I'll post what they say and/or what I hope will be a working configuration that I get back.

Chris

T40->T41P->T43P->X61 Table->T400 -> NOT LENOVO (???)

ahtea
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 2,668
Message 2 of 14

Re: ATI 3470 Graphics Driver

I am also experience something similar to your issue, except mine only happens during Windows login.

The screen just goes black and refuses to come back on unless i hit the power button to send it to sleep and wake it up from sleep mode.

I also suspect it is a ATi driver issue on mine. And yes, the problem occured once I received my system and I do have the same habit as you - updating drivers to the latest release.

stealthth
802.11n
Views: 2,652
Message 3 of 14

This is how to install switchable graphics on a clean install or if you deleted too much. Note, you must use the Switchable Graphics Driver (unmodified). Before installing make sure you uninstall ALL prior ATi and Intel graphics drivers as the switchable driver contains both. Prior to installing also make sure that the Power Manager driver and Power Manager software is installed.

Go into Bios, under configuration and display make sure your system is set to discrete graphics only and switchable off. Start Windows, install switchable drivers (note ATi will install first). Restart. Second, go back into bios, switch the graphics to integrated and switchable off and boot to windows. Windows will automatically install the Intel drivers that were installed when you ran the switchable drivers. Once Windows is done installing the intel drivers restart again. Do one more final restart and go back into Bios. Change your display settings to switchable graphics and OS Switchable to "On". System will reboot, screen may flash. Once it is down switchable option will be available again by right clicking the power meter bar on the task bar.

This should almost be stickied...too many people fudging clean installs and not knowing how to install switchable drivers.

ChrisCan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,634
Message 4 of 14

Thanks much for your reply...

Which version of the switchable graphics driver should be installed?  Is it the one on Lenovo's site here:

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-70417

It's dated April 2009...version 8.563.2.1.

I also saw a Windows7 thread about some Beta drivers that people were saying would work- don't know if you mean those, or if they even work with Vista Business 32 (which is what I have).

Thanks again...

ChrisCan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,603
Message 5 of 14

Can someone with working ATI 3470 drivers, running Vista32 Business or similar, tell me the version of the drivers you are using and exactly where/how you got them?

Also- I'm not sure I am un-installing the existing drivers correctly.  It seems that whenever I unistall them Windows re-installs another version after I reboot.  So maybe I don't understand how to do the uninstall of existing drivers either.

Sorry if these seem like trivial questions...I just want to be sure I am doing it right since I have had so much trouble with getting it to work.

Chris

stealthth
802.11n
Views: 2,595
Message 6 of 14

If your running Vista, stick with the Vista drivers, don't mess with the Windows 7 ones unless you have windows 7. Those drivers from april are the most current switchable driver. Lenovo doesn't update them everytime ATi updates theirs.  As for the windows automatically installing, don't mind that. As long as the ATi components are being uninstalled you should be okay. Just follow my steps.

ChrisCan
Paper Tape
Views: 2,567
Message 7 of 14

Tried your steps...they make sense, and I saw that both the ATI and Intel drivers installed.  I can see both in the Device Manager.   Switchable graphics appears in the menu and I can indeed switch between modes.  It looks like everything is how it should be.  But....

Whenever I try to use the ATI card, within a few minutes, the screen goes blank.  This happens if I switch to it from the integrated graphics mode, or if I boot the system as discrete only (e.g. BIOS->config->Display set to "discrete" and "disable" OS detection).   I've only been able to get it to come back by cycling power. 

The graphics drivers are both dated 4/1/2009 (Version 8.563.2.1).  Is this what other people are using and does it work correctly for them?  I am not using my machine with an external monitor.

The integrated Intel graphics work just fine.

Any other ideas?  Else I guess I will take it to the warranty center and see what they say.  I guess I'm the only one that is having this problem, so it may be specific to my unit, which is refurbished from the Lenovo outlet.

Thanks for the suggestions. 

TheDude
802.11n
Views: 2,490
Message 8 of 14

Yes,

Lenovo is still on the April drivers. I think most of ATI's updates this year have been Win 7 related, but it would be nice if Lenovo followed ATIs monthly graphics updates a little closer.

T61p, T400
formerly x23, x40
allways
Paper Tape
Views: 2,235
Message 9 of 14

Hallo Chris, I just met the same problem with you.My T400 is also a refurbished one from the Lenovo outlet, which I got days ago.

I have repeated the steps what stealthth had told.(Thanks for stealthth)

The different things are:

1. at the step of installing switchable drivers., Vista told that "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)", which means the offered driver is not the right one. But the driver was just downloaded from lenovo (version 8.563.2.1-090401a-079160C).

2.after the last step(switchable graphics and OS switchable "On" in BIOS), the screen will soon be blank after logging in with power mode "high performance". I have to deleted the ATI driver again or force to use the integrated graphics card, in order to use the notebook.

Actually I had suspected that maybe there were some hardware problems with discrete graphics. But after reading your post I'm not so sure of it.(Of course I hope it will be only the driver problem.)

Chris, do you have resolved the problem? Or someone can share any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance!

ChrisCan
Paper Tape
Views: 1,992
Message 10 of 14

Hello- sorry for the delay in my reply.  I assumed my thread was dead, was getting no more replies.

Well, the status of my machine is that it is still not working. I took it in to a nearby warranty service center and the guy there saw the same problem.  He downloaded different versions of the switchable graphics driver, just like I had.  And had no luck- just like me.  He decided to order a new motherboard for my machine- the service center guys and not real Lenovo folks, and don't seem to know these machines so well, they will try what you have already tried again, and they can also order replacement parts...doesn't look like they can do much more.  Anyway, he tried to order a new motherboard, but called me yesterday to say that he could not get an estimated arrival day for it, so he was not sure when that solution could be tried.  He suggested I call lenovo direct, and I did.

They told me that I needed to have my laptop with me so that they could suggest some things to try over the phone, so I am going to get my unit back from the service center tomorrow, and will call Lenovo back.  I am sure that they will tell me to try things I already did, and I expect that they will ask me to mail the unit to them at Lenovo once they find out it really does not work (that will probably take 2 hours of my weekend on the phone).  They will send a box and pay for shipping at least.  So I am going to send it back and wait and see what they say.  I will probably ask them to extend my warranty, I have been without a real working unit for almost 2 months and the warranty is only for 1 year.

i will post any updates when and if something happens, I don't know what to expect.  Unless they really make me happy, I am done with Lenovo.  I have had T23, T40, T41p, T43, T41 from IBM and always liked them.  I got an X61 tablet from lenovo that I still have- it is ok, but has had WiFi problems.  Now this with the lenovo T400...I like their laptops but I don't have time to go through all this. 

Good luck with yours

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors