Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tg2708
SCSI Port
Views: 10,909
Message 1 of 8

Accidentally formatted the recovery partition and I can't make recovery disk

I accidentally formatted the recovery partition and now I can't make a recovery disc. Can someone please help me? I also have an original windows 7 disc and how could i get back the lenovo stuff back on it?

Edited subject to match post.

SGolf
Punch Card
Views: 10,874
Message 2 of 8

Re: HELP!!!

That sucks, and you have tons of options including heroic tasks such as undelete tools that may or not work reliably.
You may also feed your machine type and model number into the support.lenovo.com website and navigate to a list of the latest and even oldest stable drivers and software for your system.
Regaining the exact functionality of booting to the recovery partition isn't regained from downloading those drivers.

If you're insistent on restoring the same reboot/recovery functionality then you should consider contacting Lenovo support to determine your options, I'm not qualified nor presumptuous enough to mention whether or not a fee is involved for materials.
Signature:
Let us know what happened,and share your solutions so others may benefit from our experiences. "It doesn't really matter what kind of computers I own since right now the conversation is about the problems on the computers that YOU OWN!" -Mark Twain
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 10,858
Message 3 of 8

hi.

in your situation, your best way to return your machine to a factory-installed state is to procure the factory recovery dvd set for you specific model and the os delivered on it. to explore that option, please contact Lenovo Service. the phone # can be found here:

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/feedback/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-76613

whether or not there will be a charge for the disk set, will be detemined by a number of factors that i'm not privy to. i have personal experience receiving free sets, though, when i'm within the first 30 days post-purchase.

if you have a valid windows 7 install disk and a legitimate activation key, you could do a clean install. then, download and install Thinkvantage System Update. it will make a credible pass at offering you current drivers, if they are available. the age of your machine is likely to determine the depth of driver support you can expect. once you've given TVSU a pass or two, you can cross-check your drivers against the driver matrix for your particular model to be sure you haven't missed anything.

if you post back your machine's model-type number (please, no serial number), we should be able to help you further.

cheers.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
X1C3 X1T3 X1T2 Helix1 X220 X301 X200T T61p T60p TPStack Yoga910 Yoga900S
TPYoga12 T520 T420 T510 T400 R400 T61 Yoga900 Yoga3Pro Yoga2Pro Yoga13

I am not a Lenovo employee

tg2708
SCSI Port
Views: 10,850
Message 4 of 8

Its a thinkpad t520 424048U. I have also went ahead and used my win7 to reinstall the os and such. The major software updates have been installed. What got me in this mess was that i was trying to install rescue and recovery but it kept say i had no free space. I was formatting my usb drive but mistakenly licked on the recovery partition but before i could cancel it had already been formatted.

Thanks for your help.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 10,848
Message 5 of 8

'welcome.

personally, i don't use rescue and recovery. on older thinkpads, that had it installed as part of the preload, it was one of the first things i got rid of. i was happy that my x220's preload didn't have it. i find that tools like Acronis suit my preferences better for a backup & restore strategy.

cheers.

PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

tg2708
SCSI Port
Views: 10,845
Message 6 of 8

thank you. I also got in contact with support and they will be sending me a recovery disc.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 10,841
Message 7 of 8

very good!

glad you had a positive encounter with Service. Smiley Happy

tg2708
SCSI Port
Views: 10,820
Message 8 of 8

Quick question although it might be a  none issue but I was supposed to receive a confirmation email (probably he mistyped it) and i want to change my phone number, should i call back or leave it as it is?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors