Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 245
Message 1 of 3

Adding M.2 SSD to T440p Need to Know?

Before I buy and install an M.2 card, I wanted to ask just what do I need to know or do before and after the installation. The installation itself is basically simple but I'm not real sure how to set it up or what it can be used for? Do I really need it? I've read several articles about this and found more confusion. Some claim to use it as a boot drive for storing Windows, while others claim it is only good for existing drive cache. I'm wondering if adding the M.2 will even be of any use or improvement to me. Does anyone know anything about this? Please keep it like me, very simple.

I'm not even sure which one to get for my T440p. I found this.. will it work fine? 

Lenovo SK hynix 128GB M.2 2242 PCIe NVMe SSD w/ 2280 Bracket, HFM128GDHTNG

I won''t use the included 2280 bracket as it's not for my machine.

Some of those terms are kinda foreign to me. Any insights or info is greatly appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 230
Message 2 of 3

Re: Adding M.2 SSD to T440p Need to Know?

That drive won't fit and won't work.   You need a 42mm (size 2242) SATA-format (not PCIe) SSD to go into the WWAN slot in pllace of the WWAN card you may or may not have.  People use it to as a storage drive or use it as a boot disk, with their old disk as a data disk.  It can be difficult to move your OS to the new SSD because the boot loader always ends up on the wrong place.  I always pull out my old drive and install fresh onto the M.2 SSD as the only drive in the machine.  It should be C:. I then put my old drive mack and it becomes a 2nd drive.  All applications must be reinstalled

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
stillbluewaters
Token Ring
Views: 216
Message 3 of 3

Re: Adding M.2 SSD to T440p Need to Know?

Thanks Richk for the info on the correct card. There is nothing in my slot, never has been so it's available for use. I was thinking about using it for the Windows boot but reinstalling all my other programs is not something I want to do. I have seen it done by others on video without all that hassle but who knows what they are leaving out or not telling me. Others talked about having to format and partition the drive before it could be used.

Could I perhaps use the M.2 drive for a backup or recovery drive? If I burn an .iso image to the drive or create a backup to it, can I reinstall the operating system and other wares or libraries from there should the need arise? I already have a clean .iso image for Windows 10 Pro stored to a flash drive for such just in cases.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors