Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lionelblak
What's DOS?
Views: 160
Message 1 of 3

Adding an SSD to my T470

Hi,

My T470 is a year old and I would like to add an SSD to it so that I can run virtual machines. I've read that the mSATA form factor isn't compatible with the T470 and that the M2. Sata is the only compatible form factor. Is this true?

Many thanks,

lionel

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 154
Message 2 of 3

Re: Adding an SSD to my T470

Storage:
System has one HDD slot or one M.2 2280 slot exclusively for storage

Some: HDD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high, Active Protection System

Some: SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, 2.5" wide, 7mm high (e.g. xxxGB SSD)

Some: M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2, 16Gb/s

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s, in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN and WiGig

Reference:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T470/ThinkPad_T470_Platform_Specificatio...

(1) The HDD slot is spinner or 2.5 inch SSD.

(2) PCI/e slot is M.2 2280.

1 or 2. Not both.

(3) WWAN slot, if available is mSata  M.2 2242. SATA only. Also known as NGFF, next generation form factor.

=

Edit:

typo corrected.

additional reference:

https://www.mydigitaldiscount.com/solid-state-drives-sata-m.2-ngff-ssd/

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 123
Message 3 of 3

Re: Adding an SSD to my T470

@sclexman wrote:

(3) WWAN slot, if available is mSata 2242. SATA only. Also known as NGFF, next generation form factor.

That looks like a typo:  It's 2242 m.2 SATA, NOT mSATA.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors