Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 2,255
Message 1 of 18

Anyone have a T580 yet?

Hi all

Just wondering of users of this laptop, what their thoughts on it were? How's the screen (stats like sRGB, AdobeRGB etc. would be great)? 

How is the MX150 GPU? Any throttling during games? How are the thermals?

Thanks in advance

Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 2,127
Message 2 of 18

Re: Anyone have a T580 yet?

Anyone?

Are FHD and 4K panels the same as the T570?

LimitedCompany
Serial Port
Views: 2,030
Message 3 of 18

No one has purcahsed a T580 yet? Someone out there must have.

462loader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,825
Message 4 of 18

Yes, I just received my T580 and it is my first Thinkpad and I am using it for work.  So far, it seems to be a great choice.  It replaced a Dell with a 4K monitor and I do not have any complaints.  

Peteok26
Punch Card
Views: 1,793
Message 5 of 18

Hello

Have you got a mx150 gpu, if so how are the thermals? Any throttling when playing games?

Have you got the make/model of the FHD panel by any chance? Just trying to find out if it's the same as the T570.

Thanks

462loader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,787
Message 6 of 18

No, I do not have the MX150. I have an Integrated Intel® UHD Graphics 620 and a 15.6" UHD (3840 x 2160) IPS anti-glare monitor
mareluce
HDMI
Views: 1,741
Message 7 of 18

Which keyboard do you prefer-the ThinkPad or the Dell?
462loader
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,730
Message 8 of 18

All the talk about keyboards is one of the reasons I bought the Thinkpad.  I have to say the layout and key options are nice.  I have had to pull the owners manual out and read a few things to find out how and what to do.  One of the other reasons was to have a number pad again, but with this size computer, the keys are a little close together and it is going to take a bit to get use to.  The feel and feedback are fantastic.  I even seem to be typing a bit faster.  

sharachchandra
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,455
Message 9 of 18

Thanks for sharing your first impressions. An online review (notebookcheck.net) says the T580 suffers from coil whine (a highpitched sound from the graphics card), heating issues and so-so battery life. What is your experience?

JFKelley
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 1,281
Message 10 of 18

I'm a latest-and-greatest, bleeding edge guy.  So, I got the T580.

Keyboard: First off, I LIKE the lenovo thinkpad keyboard.  Nice feel and, now that I've discovered the FnLock mode, the inversion of the F-Keys no longer drives me crazy.  The T440 was a nightmare with their experimental non-physical left/right trackpad/mouse click virtual "buttons" - but the came to their senses with the T470 (same good news for the T580).

Here's a small thing to get used to for folks with long experience on the T-pad keyboards: It's SMALLER!  Yes, my T470 was 11 1/8" from left edge of left Shift key to right edge of right Shift key.  The T580 is 10 3/4".  This was probably to make room for the 10-key pad (which my retired accountant wife is very envious of ;-).

Oh, and you're probably used to having that inch of space to the left of the keyboard - now you only have 1/8".  It's fine, but I still find myself parking my hands in the wrong home position and mistyping yjomhd s;; pbrt yjr [;svr/.  I'll adapt (and will be really happy when I can find that Delete key in the dark).

I'm a sometimes trackpoint guy and I'm glad that it sticks up a teensy bit higher than the low-profile ones on the T440 and T470.

I chose the display with the zillion pixels (well, 3840x2160).  I suppose that's nice, but I find myself either running at 225% zoom (which messes me up with my 2 external displays) or downgrading to 1920x1080 to match my external display (otherwise the fonts are REALLY teensy!)  But that said, the display is a thing of beauty.  I suppose I'm glad I chose this display over the lower res one with the touchscreen and nifty camera cover (my little postit works fine for that - and I always ran afoul of touch screens, bumping them accidentally).

With the SSD and the Intel Corei7 / vPro 8th Gen, it's nice and fast.  

I DO wish that the Lenovo store would get wise to the new T580 - I couldn't find matching accessories (e.g., docking station) using the tool because the tool didn't have the T580 on the list.

I did try one call to the advanced support line (which I sprung for when I bought the machine).  It WAS a Saturday, but still, the callback took over 24 hours.  (I had issues getting both my external monitors working - I had sussed out a solution by the time they called me back.)

The measly 2 USB ports (both on the right where it interferes with my mouse or trackball placement) was a drag, but I got wise and found a nice "Trianium" USB-C hub for the left side: 2 additional USB-3.0 and an HDMI and a USB-C passthrough for charging if I want.  Oh, yeah, USB-C charging - so your old T4x0 chargers will have to go in the bin.

I don't know what magic they're using, but this sucker boots up FAST!  (I had some issues with my T470 waking up brain dead, but - knock on wood - no such problems yet with the T580.)

Of course, I had to get a new slip-cover to handle the 14 1/4" width and it just BARELY fits in my roller-bag.

That's all for now - very happy with this T580 overall.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors