cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Yoga2Pro_23
Not applicable
Views: 822
Message 1 of 8

Anyone having issues with Crucial 16 GB memory stick on T470?

Ordered this crucial stick to upgrade the 4 GB RAM that came with my T470:

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/ct16g4sfd824a

Casually Googled the part number with T470 and this thread came up where people claim to have issues:

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/75ke0w/excessive_power_consumptionbattery_draining_while/

Just wondering if others also have had similar issues. Haven't received the laptop or the memory stick and so not sure. If I knew that the memory sticks were this expensive, I would have just customized 16 GB RAM while ordering the laptop.. Smiley Sad

Thoughts? Thanks Smiley Happy

richk
Not applicable
Views: 796
Message 2 of 8

Re: Anyone having issues with Crucial 16 GB memory stick on T470?

I've never used that stick but I have seen reports of similar items drawing excessive power when they were supposed to be in a low power state

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Yoga2Pro_23
Not applicable
Views: 777
Message 3 of 8

That's good to know, Rich. Thank you. Smiley Happy

pjc123
Not applicable
Views: 767
Message 4 of 8

Not a fan of mixing different brands/types/sizes of RAM; just not worth the hassle of possibly having issues.  You also loose the speed boost of dual channel if using different sizes.  In any event, I removed the 4GB of RAM from my T470 and installed two 8GB of RAM from Crucial.  I just ran a test, and I am not seeing the temperature increase or large battery drain that others are seeing after going into sleep mode.  Memory does not have a thermistor, but upon restart from sleep I am seeing a 4 Degree drop in all the various other sensors in the laptop (NVME SSD, Chipset and cpu) after being in sleep for 1 - 1/2 hours with ambient temperature outside the laptop being constant.  Battery drop was 6% (With peak battery threshold set to 80% on both batteries).

Yoga2Pro_23
Not applicable
Views: 748
Message 5 of 8

Thanks a lot for taking the time to write, pjc123.. Smiley Happy

Sorry, I didn't make it clear. Intend to take away the 4 GB stock RAM and going to just install the 16GB Crucial. So the 4 degree temp drop and 6% battery drop is okay or something to be concerned about? Smiley Surprised

pjc123
Not applicable
Views: 742
Message 6 of 8

I was saying it is a good thing, compared to what the others reported on the post you referenced.  They were reporting large battery drain, higher temps, and even physically hot when feeling the back of the laptop. I can't say definitively why I am not having those issues.

Yoga2Pro_23
Not applicable
Views: 734
Message 7 of 8

That's great to know, pjc123! Thank you for your prompt response. Smiley Very Happy

Quick question while we are at it. When you mentioned that you had set the battery threshold to 80%, you did it using the Lenovo power management software, right? 

Just making sure since I need to do it as well. Smiley Happy

richk
Not applicable
Views: 729
Message 8 of 8

Lenovo Vantage is used to set battery threshold.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors