Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

05-28-2010

Denmark

6 Signins

42 Page Views

• Views: 42
  • Message 1 of 3

Assorted T400s problems

2010-05-28, 17:44 PM

I have the following problems with my T400s:

- The right side silver hinge part has become loose from the body. It can be shifted freely back and forth, causing the screen to wobble. There is a small black sticker om the back under the hinge, and I think this is covering a screw that might be holding the hinge in place. Can I remove this sticker and try to tighten the screw, without voiding the warranty?

- Another thing that is loose is the DVD drive. When a disc is spinning at high speed, the entire drive unit is shaking against the rest of the computer. This makes a noise so loud that it interferes with talking. I have fixed this by stuffing some folded paper in on top and below the drive. Does anyone have a more elegant solution to this? Maybe there are some internal screws that just need to be tightened?

- Sometimes the computer wont turn on. There is no light in the finger print reader and the power button does nothing. This has happened about five times, always when on running on a well charged battery. The way to fix it seems to be by removing the battery, wait for a minute and then put it back in place again.

- The last problem is that the CPU makes a high frequency nigh. I understand from this forum, that this is a general problem with some Intel C2D chips, and the only thing that can be done is to throttle the CPU down in power manager?

Anyway, I have had some bad experiences with Lenovo repair service here in Denmark, so that is the reason I ask here, instead of sending the computer in for repair.

Options

382 Posts

02-13-2009

United States of America

228 Signins

4335 Page Views

• Views: 4335
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Assorted T400s problems

2010-05-30, 16:38 PM

I do not work for Lenovo but I do not believe that removing the sticker would void the warranty.  I have had IBM thinkpads repaired where several of the stickers had fallen off completely and I never had any issues with service.

The only thing I can think of for the drive would be to find some thin self adhesive foam which would be a better solution in the long run, I have never seen this particular issue before.  If you know someone else with a T400s I would ask to swap their drive to see if it is a drive issue or a chasis issue (possible the drive is slightly out of spec).

Have you run the bios updates as far as the power on issues?  Seems like a firmware issue.

You don't need to throttle the CPU, only disable the "deep sleep" ability.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 10 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Options

260 Posts

07-03-2009

United States of America

545 Signins

4675 Page Views

• Views: 4675
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Assorted T400s problems

2010-05-31, 16:44 PM

- The right side silver hinge part has become loose from the body. It can be shifted freely back and forth, causing the screen to wobble. There is a small black sticker om the back under the hinge, and I think this is covering a screw that might be holding the hinge in place. Can I remove this sticker and try to tighten the screw, without voiding the warranty?

Reply: I had the same after the laptop is repaired through the service depot. My solution is to tighten the screw from underneath the chassis, not the one you were talking about behind the plastic cover.

- The last problem is that the CPU makes a high frequency nigh. I understand from this forum, that this is a general problem with some Intel C2D chips, and the only thing that can be done is to throttle the CPU down in power manager?

Reply: I think so. X301 does not have the problem, but my T400s has the noise with two different motherboards (43Y and 63Y). Intel is the one to blame.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms