Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cereal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,113
Message 1 of 6

Audio line out not switching from spkrs to output

I use the line out a lot (plug, unplug).

For some reason, sound won't come out of the speakers of my T400, but it will come out from the output.

I desinstalled the driver and now the speakers are working but not the output.

I think it has something to do with the drivers switching from speakers to output.

Anyone know how to fix this? (I tried installing the latest drivers with no success) AND formatted (Vista and W7 didnt change anything)

When the computer is freshly formatted, the audio comes out of the speaker. When I insert a jack, it comes out of the line out but won't go back to the speakers when I unplug it.

Cereal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,102
Message 2 of 6

Re: Audio line out not switching from spkrs to output

I just found a crack in the green circle around the jack. Could this be the cause?

Also, I always used my computer with care. Should this be covered by the warranty?

Highlighted
andrej770
Paper Tape
Views: 1,092
Message 3 of 6

This may not be a headphone jack issue at all.  Review the attached thread.  I have a T500 that once I upgraded to the latest driver (4.92.5.0), the same issue presented itself.  I can use my headphones,  but no speakers.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=T400_series_ThinkPads&message.id=13129&query.id=...

I followed all the steps and can't get it to work with my speakers.  Had me thinking I had broken the speakers somehow.  However, when I remove the drivers completely and allowed the Microsoft High Def driver to take hold, the speakers worked fine, but then the headphones would not work.  I was like, What the Flagnog!! (Aliens v. Monsters) :-)

Anyway, check it out!  Hopefully it helps.

KBAM
Token Ring
Views: 1,053
Message 4 of 6

Cereal,

What OS are you running, is it 32- or 64-bit, and what versions of the audio drivers were installed when you first experienced this problem?

Had you installed new drivers prior to observing this behavior?

The green/red plastic bushings around the 3.5mm I/O audio jacks are merely strain relief/mounting/insulating/cosmetic collars. Absent physical abuse, a minor split or gap should have no effect on jack functionality as long as the plug seats firmly and the jack itself is secure. Still, ThinkPad's audio I/O jack assembly is integrated with the motherboard, so you need to be fairly deliberate with it. While it's common to design/construct mobile devices this way, it is *always* a bad idea. Jack assemblies should be independent of the system board (connected via a header) so they can 1) better withstand daily plug/unplug cycle stress, and 2) be easily replaced if necessary.

--BAM

Cereal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 981
Message 5 of 6

I did some tests.

I'm pretty sure my audio jack is busted (now when I insert something it plays with echoes like if the jack wasnt fully inserted)

Windows keeps the audio jack always on so I can't use my speakers anymore

Anyone know if I can fix/change the audio jack without changing the mainboard?

OR

Dissable it so only speakers are used?

Cereal
Fanfold Paper
Views: 978
Message 6 of 6

I found a solution:

I told windows to switch to older driver (some from 2006 that were already in windows)

My speakers are now working but not the audio jack (this I don't really care... I can't use earplugs because of my tinnitus lol)

So... This seems to be a driver related problem mostly.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors