cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
crorion
Paper Tape
Views: 6,680
Message 1 of 4

BIOS Update fail: The process does not recognize this system. The utility process has not completed.

I have a Thinkpad T450s and I am trying to update from BIOS version 1.19 to 1.20. I have created a live-usb with the 'el tortio'-extracted image using the linux command 'dd'. Once I boot into the usb under Legacy-BIOS and select upgrade, it proceeds witht the error message "The process does not recognize this system. The process has been canceled." I disabled anti-theft, AMT (I believe that's the option) and am sure that I'm using the correct .iso file from the downloads section. I do not have any Windows operating systems installed, but I am able to boot into several linux distributions using Legacy and UEFI methods.

Here is my BIOS information.

"Handle 0x0031, DMI type 0, 24 bytes
BIOS Information
Vendor: LENOVO
Version: JBET54WW (1.19 )
Release Date: 11/06/2015
Address: 0xE0000

Runtime Size: 128 kB
ROM Size: 16384 kB
Characteristics:
PCI is supported
PNP is supported
BIOS is upgradeable
BIOS shadowing is allowed
Boot from CD is supported
Selectable boot is supported
ACPI is supported
USB legacy is supported
BIOS boot specification is supported
Targeted content distribution is supported
UEFI is supported
BIOS Revision: 1.19
Firmware Revision: 1.2"

What might you suggest to get the update disk to recognize my system?

crorion
Paper Tape
Views: 6,670
Message 2 of 4

Re: BIOS Update fails: "The process does not recognize this system. The process has been cancel

I have also tried using the update utility under WINE in Linux and it gives me the same error message.

crorion
Paper Tape
Views: 6,628
Message 3 of 4

Re: BIOS Update fail: The process does not recognize this system. The utility process has not comple

I believe I've corrected the issue, I formatted the USB drive to FAT16 rather than FAT32, and also when using the geteltorito command, it's better to use the -o option rather than a redirection ">" syntax. One article stated that it's better to drop-down into a DOS command line using the USB boot and then execute dosflash.exe from there, however, I could not edit the .bat file, but it is an option nonetheless.

I hope this helps anybody stuck in a similar situation.

Tiger3000
What's DOS?
Views: 5,768
Message 4 of 4

Re: BIOS Update fail: The process does not recognize this system. The utility process has not comple

Thank you for posting your solution here. It worked well for me.

Based on your solution I will publish a how to guide for unexperienced users.

@LenovoSupport: It would be great if you can add this to the official read me file and how to guide for all devices!

1. Download BIOS Update (Bootable CD) for Windows

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T45...

2. Extract the data from CD ISO file and store as plain file (no file extention needed)

geteltorito.pl -o /home/[user]/[biosupdatefilename] /[pathtoCDISOfile]/jbuj63wd.iso 
  3. Format USB drive to FAT16 with gparted

4. Copy this file to USB drive

sudo dd if=/home/[user]/[biosupdatefilename] of=/dev/sdd
  5. Make a system backup

6. Update BIOS

Restart your Laptop and hit F12 while boot up. Select USB drive. Update…

7. Done ;-)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors