BIOS option to "permanently disable" Computrace

Hi,

In the T500 BIOS Setup is the option:

Security:Computrace: Computrace Module Activation

with 3 possible values:

• Enabled (default?)
  • Disabled
  • Permanently Disabled

I think I understand how Computrace BIOS works: on boot the BIOS checks and makes sure the necessary drivers/services are present in the OS filesystem before the supported OS boots. The Computrace service then runs "hidden" in the OS and periodically phones home.

What I'd like to know is what happens if I select the BIOS option "Permanently Disabled". Is the Computrace checker/loader deleted from the BIOS? Is it possible to ever turn Computrace back on at a later date, perhaps by flashing the BIOS?

Thanks,

Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
djfrost2004
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 119,443
Message 2 of 5

Re: BIOS option to "permanently disable" Computrace

This field lets you Activate or Disable the BIOS module interface of the optional Computrace(R) Service from Absolute(R) Software. The Computrace agent from Absolute Software is a service solution designed to help track assets and provide recovery services in the event the notebook is lost or stolen. The Computrace agent communicates with the Absolute Software Monitoring Server at programmed intervals to provide the tracking service. By activating the service, you consent to the transmission of information from and to your computer and the Absolute Software Monitoring Server. The Computrace service is purchased as a separate option and the monitoring Server will enable its agent security module through an interface provided by the BIOS. The Computrace tracking agent can only be used in the US, UK, Canada, and Australia. Computrace(R) and Absolute(R) are registered trademarks of Absolute Software Corporation.

Disable = Permanently block the Computrace module interface.
Deactivate = Block the Computrace module interface (default).
Activate = Permit the Computrace module interface.

The Absolute Anti-Theft solution is presently Deactivated. Note that the Activate or Disable options will permanently Activate or Disable the feature and no further changes will be allowed.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, if people are wondering about the service - for home users you can get info here: http://www.lojackforlaptops.com/learnmore.asp

For all of the software solutions - the info is here: http://www.absolute.com/
do you have renter's or home owners insurance? if so, it isn't worth it.

second, it only works if someone is going to use it on the internet.

third, you should read the terms for recovery http://www.absolute.com/PDF/EULA.pdf
which means that even if they recover the lappie, they do not cover the fact that it may be damaged or data lost. you must also always have it automatically loaded to connect regularily...if you are travelling and using dial up that may mean extra phone expenses. once lappie is located, the cops have to get the lappie...if it is outside recovery territory, your loss. it is recovery and not insurance in case of theft. and the nice catcher that if you didn't take precautions to safeguard against the theft, then it doesn't guarantee the recovery nor pay the $1000 if they cannot recover it (para 8.9). another important note, is that $1000 is max, and decreases annually (para 9).

prices are:
LoJack for Laptops - 4 year term US$119.99
LoJack for Laptops - 3 year term US$99.99
LoJack for Laptops - 2 year term US$79.99
LoJack for Laptops - 1 year term US$49.99

if you have insurance, i think it is absurd to buy these things. it is like buying lojack for a car, rather useless.
---------------
ThinkPad T400: Intel® C2D P8400 | ATI® Radeon HD 3470 (ATI Switchable Graphics) | 4GB RAM DDR3 | 250GB 5400RPM | CD-RW | ThinkPad 11b/g | 14.1" WXGA+ LED | 4-Cell Battery | Windows 7

NOD32 2.7 Anti-Virus | Office 2007 | Professional Pianist Smiley Very Happy (20 years)
Retired Guru
Views: 119,436
Message 3 of 5

Thanks for the info on the Computrace BIOS settings. I run Linux on my T500 so Computrace wouldn't even function, but prefer to keep the option of activating it in the future. I guess the default Deactivate setting is right for me. Interesting how a decision to Disable or Activate is permanent. Guess it has to be that way so a thief can't simply turn Computrace off :-)
---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. Smiley Happy
TomasCrespo
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 112,973
Message 4 of 5

Ummm... I though that if a thinkpad comes with the Computrace option in bios its not necessary to install any software, its independient of the OS, isn't it?

If you have a Thinkpad with CompuTrace BIOS option, computrace must work with all OS (Linux, windows...)

Isnt it?

nik99aa
What's DOS?
Views: 106,413
Message 5 of 5

I have thinkpad t410. I brought from ebay in my lappy intel AT and computrace is permanently deactivate in the bios.

So does this means that i cant secure my laptop if its lost ??

Can't lenovo trace my laptop even if both these security options are permanently disable??

the OS in it is windows 7 but its evaluation copy not orignal

Please reply

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors