Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 519
Message 1 of 9

Back-lit Keyboard for T440p information request

After spending a miserable and expensive (Mexico does not recognize 800 numbers) toll call to Lenovo in the USA I'm coming here for some help. I have a ThinkPad 440p Model 20AWA20LLM. This is a machine for the Latin American market. I am using an English keyboard bought from Amazon and I really dislike it. I would like to order an Original Equipment Manufacturer, English, back-lit keyboard fromLenovo. Can anyone provide the part number and either a factory approved retail source or the Lenovo parts sales in the US. I will be traveling to Florida in a month or so and would have the part delivered to a Florida address. Thanks inadvance for any help.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 501
Message 2 of 9

Re: Back-lit Keyboard for T440p information request

I have never seen non-OEM keyboards sold to be installed into a Thinkpad.  Are you sure it isn't OEM?  Are you sure it isn't OEM?  Can you provide a link?  There are multiple suppliers, each with a part number, but normally, they are supplied to customers interchangeably.  Perhaps, you prefer one over the other.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 475
Message 3 of 9

@richk wrote:

I have never seen non-OEM keyboards sold to be installed into a Thinkpad.  Are you sure it isn't OEM?  Are you sure it isn't OEM?  Can you provide a link?  There are multiple suppliers, each with a part number, but normally, they are supplied to customers interchangeably.  Perhaps, you prefer one over the other.

Thanks for the reply. Heres a link from Amazon's US site: 

https://goo.gl/JmrWSW 

Nothing there says OEM and I don't see a familiar name other than the Lenovo Spanish keyboard. Nothing like Chicony, for example. Is it not possibleto order this from Lenovo parts?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 466
Message 4 of 9

You are right.  That looks like non-OEM.  You can start here to get parts from lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T44...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 457
Message 5 of 9

@richk wrote:

You are right.  That looks like non-OEM.  You can start here to get parts from lenovo:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-T-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-T44...

Thaank you for the reply. Unfortunately Lenovo's mess of a web structure is not helpful. You cannot order parts from the support site. The representative that I chatted with could not help me. He transferred me to a sales representative who could only sell me a new laptop and did not know how to order parts, a deficiency we both share.

In drilling down through a most unhelpful search algrythm, I managed to find what I think is the part number, 00HW837. However entering the word Lenovo and the part number into Google results in page after page of non-OEM keyboards from various known and unknown vendors, who use words like original and genuine but ship clones. Is there no parts sales page or parts ordering telephone number that is available to the public?

BTW, https://support.lenovo.com/mx/en/partsorder is a useless loop that takes you back to support. You enter serial number or a part number and click. You get a page that says "Contact us". Click on the link and you are right back at the beginning. It should not be this hard to buy an OEM keyboard.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 446
Message 6 of 9

The best store to purchase Lenovo original parts on-line is below, at least in the US:
http://www.ibm.com/shop/us/parts/

Open the "Retail store" link.
But the price is unreal. The only FRU 04X0169 (Backlit KBD US International, Liteon) looks a bit cheaper.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 441
Message 7 of 9

@x220forme wrote:
The best store to purchase Lenovo original parts on-line is below, at least in the US:
http://www.ibm.com/shop/us/parts/

Open the "Retail store" link.
But the price is unreal. The only FRU 04X0169 (Backlit KBD US International, Liteon) looks a bit cheaper.

Thank you, thank you, thank you. You're absolutely correct about the unreal price. But using the FRU and reading reviews of the Liteon vs. the Chicony, I have found several retail sources for the Liteon at far more reasonable prices. Again, thank you.

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 404
Message 8 of 9

And I'm back... disappointed at the number of online vendors who claim OEM but ship garbage Chinese replicas. So, throwing myself on the mercy of the forum members, does anyone know an online source other than the official IBM retail parts site, where the 00HW837 keyboard is priced at 336 USD. The FRU 04X0169. Thanks.

mixz1
Broadband 3G
Views: 378
Message 9 of 9

Found it by examing photo after photo on Amazon.com.  

2016-12-08 21_26_29-Amazon.com_ New for IBM Lenovo Thinkpad T431s T440 T440p T440s US Backlit Keyboa.png

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors