cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwooden
SCSI Port
Views: 821
Message 11 of 16

Re: Any extra suggestions here on how to remove the base cover?

I have swapped out the failing hard drive without any issues...
let me offer a couple pieces of advice:

1) Read the Hardware Maint. Manual ... it show where the latches are located (well except for one side...) and lists a specific order for unscrewing and de-latching...

2) While I detest the fact that there are molded plastic latches, I had no trouble de-latching them with the little plastic prybar I use when repairing iPhones. You can buy a cheap one on eBay for just a couple bucks ... It will only last thru a few uses, but I HIGHLY recommend it! I was sweating this procedure a LOT, but it turned out to be quite easy and accomplished with no damage to the unit when using the plastic "pry bar".

3) The screws in the base cover are "captive" ... that is to say they remain in the base cover when unscrewed... don't try to take them out of their recessed mounting holes just make sure they are unscrewed all the way and move on...

ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 706
Message 12 of 16

Re: Base cover removal and installation instructions Thinkpad T440s

I have been servicing IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads since the days of the T40-series, and I have to express my opinion here.  The T440 and X240 series are perhaps the worst-ever Thinkpad designs from the standpoint of ease of maintenance.  Otherwise, they are beautifully designed, but whoever designed the base covers for these models needs to spend a month prying off the base covers to do routine maintenance and upgrades like adding memory or replacing a hard dirve with an SSD.  With these systems, the chore and anxiety of removing the base cover without damaging it transforms a simple task into one which I dread.

Rocko9999
Token Ring
Views: 701
Message 13 of 16

Don't assume this 'poor' design was by accident or some oversight. Many manufacturers don't want the average consumer to replace ram, hard drive, etc. anymore. It's by design. It's better for them financially(they think) to make you upgrade or pay them to replace wanted part,  when you want more space, ram, etc. 

The first thing I do before buying a laptop is research how easy it is to gain access to ram and hard drive locations.

ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 692
Message 14 of 16

Too true.  But to be fair to Lenovo, I have had to repair laptops designed even worse.  How about an Acer with such cheap flimsy plastic that another part breaks duing an attempt to fix something else?  Despite all precautions I took, the part that broke was already cracked and weakened.  Or how about those wretched Dell Inspiron 15 laptops?  You want replace the hard drive?  Well, remove the screen and keyboard, then remove the palmrest, and, finally, remove the motherboard and flip it over to get at the hard drive.  On my informal scale of difficulty to repair, the Inspiron 15 gets a 99 out of 100.  It does not get 100 because I have to leave room for something worse in the future, just like the skating judges tend to under-rate the early skaters in a competition.  But the Inspiron 15 is a consumer machine, sold at Walmart, among other top-class retailers.  So I would expect the worst from any consumer-class comuter sold in mass market big box stores, along with Toshiba, Acer, Asus, and the cheaper grade of Lenovos and HPees.

But, dammit, the T440s, like my just-as-difficult-to-repair X240, is a business-class laptop and I expect something better than this.  (BTW, the T540 does not suffer from the same malady.)  All the snapping plastic tabs around the perimeter of the Thinkpad T440 base are overkill.  They do not make the laptop waterproof.  And there are eight (8) screws to hold it together.  At this point, the choices seem to be difficult-to-repair Lenovo Thinkpads, cheap plastic Dell Latitudes, and godawful to repair HP business-class laptops.  from what I see regularly, I'll stick with Lenovo, albeit with reluctance.

dizzbuster
Punch Card
Views: 670
Message 15 of 16

Aside from the poor design all you need are some spudgers a little patience and you are off to the races. Watch this video -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuXxQDOgVZQ

ben_myers
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 642
Message 16 of 16

T440 HMM - Check, got it.  Read it.  Printed the relevant pages to have beside me.

Spudgers - Check, have them.

You Tube video - check, seen it.

Patience - Gone missing.

It is still a struggle to get those **bleep** tabs on the sides released, whether you follow Lenovo's recommended order or not.  Well, I succeeded only when I popped the tabs on the left side first (looking at the HMM diagram), not the right.  And, I'll repeat, once again, it was way too difficult. 

The fit of the bottom cover is simply too tight. The screws on the bottom are enough for a tight fitting base.  And the tight fit does not make these waterproof exactlty.  Well, maybe a little better if so fool spills a coffee alongside the T440, rather than right onto the keyboard.

And the T440 is not designed for easy maintenance, no more than my X240 is.  If they were not expensive otherwise-well-crafted machines, they would get thrown out the window.  Maybe if I "pop" the base covers from a few more, I'll get better at it, but I gotta wonder.  I have repaired and refurbished hundreds of laptops, all brands, so it's not like I'm new at this.  Except for the base cover removal, these are superb laptops, so I'll grit my teeth and do more.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors