Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ramonh
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,270
Message 1 of 3

Battery not charging consistently - t450 win10

I recently bought a new T450 which originally had Windows 7 installed. After getting it I upgraded to Windows 10.

I've noticed that the battery charges correctly when it's mostly charged, but if I am not plugged in and both batteries (internal + external) get low, then I plug the machine it, the battery won't charge. The system tray will say "Plugged in, not charging" and the power light will constantly blink (sometimes consistent rapid blinks, sometimes long-short blinks).

I bought a second external battery with the machine. When I'm in this state, if I swap to the fresh battery the computer will instantly start charging correctly. If I leave the machine charging for a while (15-30 min) then swap in the depleted battery, it will now start charging correctly.

It seems as though if I didn't have the second battery I might in a really bad spot. FWIW I've tried installing "Lenovo Power Management Driver for Windows 10" and the "Lenovo Settings" app for Windows 10 that has controls for the battery.

Does anyone have an idea of what is going on here? Should I downgrade back to Windows 7?

Thanks in advance.

meckdahl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,053
Message 2 of 3

Re: Battery not charging consistently - t450 win10

I have a G700 that does the same thing, and I only have one battery, so it ONLY works when plugged in.

It had done this since the laptop was brand new, and I spent 8 hrs on the phone to get it to charge.

I believe the core problems is that the battery must have some charge in order to Say "Yes I am genuine", so if it is fully depleted, it does not have the juice to say it is genuine and thus never charges because the laptop refuses to charge a battery that can't prove it is genuine.  Understand, I have the original battery that did this from the first day I bought it!  A simple fix to allow it to charge to say 5% even if not genuine would fix this massive bug and still keep people form using non-genuine batteries.

At this point it is unlikely I will buy another Lenovo as I dealt with customer support for days and never got a resolution.  It was unprofessional to not just send me a new (better) battery immediately and have me ship back the bad one.

meckdahl
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,046
Message 3 of 3

Re: Battery not charging consistently - t450 win10

Ok, I have a hack fix posted on another thread. Essentially unplug and replug the battery or power connector a number of times to trickle a tiny charge in the battery, which will allow it to identify itself and start charging.
Top Kudoed Authors