cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sdlarsen
Paper Tape
Views: 254
Message 1 of 3

Bios upgrade to 2.12 on T460p locks cpu frequency to lowest when running without battery

Hi.

After upgrading BIOS to 2.12 the CPU frequency is locked to the lowest possible (disregarding BIOS settings). Plugging in the battery makes it work again.

For the sake of prolonging my battery life I ususally run without it when safely docked at home.

Anyone else experiencing this? I assume it's a bug?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 204
Message 2 of 3

Re: Bios upgrade to 2.12 on T460p locks cpu frequency to lowest when running without battery

It sounds like a bug might have been fixed.  I would expect it to slow down if you had just a battery (no A/C) or just A/C (no battery).  The charhing circuity won't "cook" the battery.  It will stop charging when it is fully charged.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
sdlarsen
Paper Tape
Views: 172
Message 3 of 3

Re: Bios upgrade to 2.12 on T460p locks cpu frequency to lowest when running without battery

It's not a bug being fixed. It's being introduced.

There are BIOS settings for how you want CPU speed priorities for running on AC and battery. Default settings are performance (full-speed) on AC and the opposite on Battery (lowest speed).

The issue is that without a battery inserted the speed is always lowest possible - disregarding this setting - giving *very* poor performance.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors