12-18-2019

US

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 1 of 5

Bizarre T590 lid closure issue

2019-12-18, 19:06 PM

I have an extremely bizarre issue with my new ThinkPad T590 laptop and how the system is detecting a lid closure.  After getting my system it started going into a "sleep" loop whenever I was using it as a laptop (not docked).  When docked with external monitors, keyboard, and mouse and with the lid closed the system behaves great.  But if it is undocked and I'm using it like an actual laptop the system would start going to sleep right in the middle of me typing.  The batter was fine and the events would happen even when plugged in.  If left alone & only the mouse used the system worked just fine but then when typing it would go to sleep & need waking up.

On a whim I tried changing the power management in Windows to disable sleep when the lid is closed.  After I did this I still would have my screen go black while I was typing, but now it would come back up instantly and I could continues from where I was typing.  So my working theory is that there is something odd with the lid closure detection.

Up till now the issue appeared completely random & I could not predict when it would occure.  But today I finally found a way to induce the event reliably.  If I have my hands in proper home-row position over the "asdf-jkl;" keys and then reach for the "5" button on the number row the system will, I'm suspecting, detect a lid closure.  I don't even have to press the key, only reach for it.  The event doesn't occur when I reach for 4 or for 6, just 5.  If I move my hand back the system will "wake" back up, but if I leave my hand there the system will continue to be "asleep"/dark.

The kicker in all this is that this is my second T590 laptop to show this behavior!  I returned my first one and was hopeful it was just a faulty system, but to have two show the same behavior is just beyond bizarre.  Has anyone else experienced this with a T590 or similar ThinkPad?  Any idea on how to resolve this issue?  It's getting extremely annoying to have my system go black periodically while using it as a laptop.

Options

10850 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39505 Signins

411247 Page Views

• Views: 411247
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Bizarre T590 lid closure issue

2019-12-18, 19:17 PM

Do you have something magnetic on your hand?  Jewelry?

Rich

To help with forum searches, check this out: https:/forums.lenovo.com/t5/Welcome-FAQs/Using-Browser-Search-to-find-your-answers-in-Lenovo-and-Moto-Community/m-p/5016916

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

3 Posts

12-18-2019

US

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2019-12-18, 19:34 PM

I have a wedding ring on my left hand, which is the one I'm using to reach for the number buttons.  It's platinum if that matters.

Options

6277 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17578 Signins

159876 Page Views

• Views: 159876
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-12-18, 20:23 PM

Something is triggering the lid-close switch.  It's a magnetic sensor approx 1 inch to the left of the touchpad (see pic where I'm using a refrigerator magnet to trigger it).  Maybe you have a magnetic watch band?

Options

3 Posts

12-18-2019

US

5 Signins

26 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-12-18, 21:17 PM

I am wearing an Apple Watch with a band that has a magnetic clasp.  Perhaps that is moving to within just the right distance when reaching for the "5" key.  I'll try taking off my watch and us the laptop for a while and see if I encounter the issue again.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete