Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
martin120
Paper Tape
Views: 19,349
Message 1 of 33

Black screen after sleep and hibernate T480s

Hi,

I have tried to install windows 10 enterprise 2016 LTSB, on two T480s and both have the and issue now with a black laptop display when I close the lid open the display again ("when I close the lid" is set to sleep).

The windows installation is from the iso on a usb. And just after the Windows installation I have the issue. and it is still there after full windows update and lenovo update. When I got the 2. laptop it worked with the orginal image (start the pc for the first time and let it finish), but after re-installation I got the issue.

I have tried a few things without luck (turn of fast startup, disable secure boot, monitor profile update) but i cant make it work.

If I attach an external monitor I get a dispaly on this external monitor (via hdmi), and I can see one Generic PNP Monitor (the external monitor), it seems like that the internal display is disconnected if choose show hidden devices in the device manager, and can't be enabled (i have also tried to rescan for new hardware without any luck). When I reboot  the display is back again.

I dont have this issue on the t470 model with the same approach.

What do I miss, some driver/windows setting or ?

Thanks in advance

regards

Martin

discostrings
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 19,311
Message 2 of 33

Re: Black screen after sleep and hibernate T480s

Hi Martin,

When you put the T480s in sleep or hibernate mode manually (instead of by closing the lid), does it wake up successfully?

If you change "when I close the lid" so that it doesn't perform an action (instead of sleeping), does the problem still occur when you close and open the lid?

thinkpadfans
What's DOS?
Views: 19,296
Message 3 of 33

i have same issue on x1 carbon g5

martin120
Paper Tape
Views: 19,284
Message 4 of 33

@discostrings:

I have tried to set the lid to do nothing, and this works (close/open without any problems). it also works if I set the power button to sleep or hibernation (instead of power down), then it resumes correct and I get the display back (I have already used this as a temporary solution for the one user who got the first T480s).

/martin

shamu35
Paper Tape
Views: 19,258
Message 5 of 33

@martin120

This is exactly the same behaviour as I noticed on a T480s.

Instead of Windows 10 LTSB 2016 we use the current Branch 1709 and with this version, it works fine. I think it's a problem with the current BIOS or display driver. And I hope it will be fixed soon by Lenovo Support.

martin120
Paper Tape
Views: 19,194
Message 6 of 33

Yes, you are right. I works with the CB edition of both the Windows 10 enterprise and Pro, but not th LTSB. I will try to contact Lenovo support.

shamu35
Paper Tape
Views: 19,155
Message 7 of 33

Currently we have only one T480s in your managed setup. And as workaround we have installed CB instead of LTSB2016. Please can you keep me informed in this thread if you have new information about this case? Many thanks.

jurep
Paper Tape
Views: 19,088
Message 8 of 33

@martin- I have the same issue with Windows 10 Enterprise. Did you contacted Lenovo? Any news from Lenovo? Many thanks for your answer. 

martin120
Paper Tape
Views: 19,066
Message 9 of 33

Im waiting for the 2. level support to get back. I will post the answer when I get it.

regards

Martin

martin120
Paper Tape
Views: 18,936
Message 10 of 33

Hi, The answer from 2. level support is:

Bottom line is that RS1 will not be supported on the new platforms, and there is nothing we on our side can do about it

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors