Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
johnnywyoming
Paper Tape
Views: 167
Message 1 of 6

Bluetooth

I recently purchased a refurbished T420 with Win 7 64 bit. Great machine and very clean. I am planning to hook it up to a Bluetooth speaker and ear buds for my wife. It has Bluetooth 2.1 I believe, and I am wondering if devices with 4.0 - 4.2 will run on it. Has anyone used devices with these later versions on this laptop and if so did it work?  I found this download on the Lenovo site. I'm not certain if this is a upgrade or ??

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-t-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 144
Message 2 of 6

Re: Bluetooth

Hello and welcome,

I think the answer is going to depend on the device.  I have a Lenovo wireless mouse (for instance) that is BT 4.0 only.  It will not work with my T420.

If the earbuds you are looking to use are 4.x ONLY (and I suspect they are) an inexpensive BT 4.0/USB dongle may be the answer.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 134
Message 3 of 6

Replace current BT daughter card with the one from ThinkPads x30 generation and install appropriate drivers for that card. It has the same design but supports BT 4.0

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 127
Message 4 of 6

@x220forme wrote:
Replace current BT daughter card with the one from ThinkPads x30 generation and install appropriate drivers for that card. It has the same design but supports BT 4.0

Excellent suggestion!

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

SeniorGuru
Views: 119
Message 5 of 6

@x220forme wrote:

Or, if you can't find a daughter card you can get a USB adapter: Bluetooth USB Adapter CSR 4.0 USB Dongle from Amazon.

Of course this has the disadvantage that it uses up a USB port and it sticks out a bit. 

Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for the quick answers! Will look into both options.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors