Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Boot Order Password Prompt

Thinkpad T420s (4170CTO) with latest BIOS 1.31.

I have set a supervisor password in BIOS and enabled it to prompt for password when entering BIOS. Also I've enabled access to change boot order via F12 key. This setting claims only a supervisor can access this setting, but when I press F12 on startup no password prompt appears. Only when entering BIOS does the password prompt appear.

This seems like a major security issue, as anyone can change the boot order to optical drive or USB drive and access the system, reset Windows admin password with Windows installation disc, etc.

I understand I can disable all other boot options in BIOS, that way no one can boot from anything other than the hard drive. However, I want to password protect the boot order screen instead so I don't have to disable other drives entirely. Is there a way of doing this? The BIOS setting implies that it's password protected but it's not, so is this a bug or am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: Boot Order Password Prompt

Just noticed an additional password problem. Enabling password prompt on unattended boot as well as restart does NOT actually prompt for a password. What's going on? Seems like a major security flaw. Am I missing something?