12-13-2018

US

67 Signins

418 Page Views

• Views: 418
  • Message 1 of 5

Bought a T480...

2018-12-24, 23:23 PM
Hey! :) I was wondering any kind of SSDs would work with the T480? Right now I bought it with 500 GB HDD and Intel Optane (16Gb), but in the future, I might consider upgrading to 512 nVME SSD for system. Also, what do you guys know about the battery life upon general internet usage? I bought a battery with 72Wh so in total it would be 96 Wh. Plus, I also own a Varta Power Bank (13mAh) 48,1 Wh. Do you guys believe it could charge the battery by any chance? https://www.varta-consumer.com/en/products/portable-power/overview/details/lcd-power-bank-13000 Please let me know you guys think! Bellow you can see the exact specs. (In general I will not use the dedicated GPU, just the integrated)
Solved! See the solution
Options

2297 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3347 Signins

40975 Page Views

• Views: 40975
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Bought a T480...

2018-12-25, 5:23 AM

The HDD slot is a SATA slot, so you could upgrade to a 2.5" SSD, but not an NVME SSD. But you could upgrade the Intel Optane 16GB to a larger PCIe NVME M.2 SSD. 

Don't own a T480 myself, but I heard that the T480 has one of the longest lastest batteries of any laptop... that PowerBridge tech is prety powerful! 

As for the power bank, I think that if it has an electrical outlet, it should work. The T480 uses a 45W charger, so it's not power hungry. 

Hope that helps, and happy holidays!!!

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

8058 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77115 Signins

2180514 Page Views

• Views: 2180514
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-12-25, 6:06 AM

The T480 main bay will take an NVMe SSD but may require a different mounting bracket and cable than a 2.5" HDD or SSD.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20T480/ThinkPad_T480_Platform_Specifications.pdf

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t480_hmm_en.pdf

The T480 uses a USB-C power input and AFAIK requires 20V.  The power bank you linked doesn't seem to support either of those - but the specs are incomplete...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

10 Posts

12-13-2018

US

67 Signins

418 Page Views

• Views: 418
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-12-25, 12:57 PM

Hey Guys! Yes, I am aware of that the SATA can't have NVMe, I was talking about the slot where Intel Optane is installed, I would replace that with an actual NVMe SSD. Yeah, but the T480 Charges with Type C, and as far as I know, maybe could get it work by using a Male Type C to Male Type C that should make it work, but yeah, this is all in mind, however just read on Reddits it worked in some case.

I have also find some Amazon products which supports charging Apple Macbooks via Type C (45W). I guess this should work then, just need to find a compatible and working power bank, if not this, I will find an another :)

Options

2297 Posts

04-17-2014

US

3347 Signins

40975 Page Views

• Views: 40975
  • Message 5 of 5

2018-12-25, 13:25 PM

The slot where the Intel Optane drive is will support a PCIe NVMe SSD. 

Regards,
Eric Xu

I'm a Lenovo forums advocate and brand advocate (Lenovo INsider). I'm a volunteer; I don't work for Lenovo.

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs up to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Lenovo Forums have transitioned to a new platform. The team is working hard to bring new features and make the forums better than it was before!

The 'Search' function is currently down. In the interim, please get help through browser searches.

Please ensure the option 'Subscribe me automatically to all discussions I have participated in' is enabled under your forum settings. That way, you'll be notified if anyone replies to your thread!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete