cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Norwegian_Blue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,970
Message 1 of 8

Brand new T440s (original 256GB SSD) - Error 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

Hi,

I have a month old T440s. It has the original 256GB SSD drive (didn't open\replace anything).

After uninstalling some antivirus software win8 had problems booting. To make a long story short, I tried different things to fix the MBR and eventually got to the point of trying to do a full factory restore, which didn't work (it couldn't find the recovery partition).

When I boot up now, I get the "2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HDD)" error.

Aside from trying to restore using Lenovo CD (shipped to me, will be here in a couple of days), what else cn be done and what caused this ordeal?

I don't mind about the data on the SSD, I just really need my laptop functioning ASAP.

Thanks for any advise you may have!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,938
Message 2 of 8

Re: Brand new T440s (original 256GB SSD) - Error 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

Hi,

check out the disk drive model. If that's a Samsung SSD PM841, refer the page below regarding firmware update affected models:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht082504

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
x1c Gen3 (2015) • WQHD MT IPS, PCIe ssd
Miix 2 10"  |  Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android 5.0), BKC800 BT Keyboard, FolioCase
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 wireless router, hdd 1 TB, BT speaker, power bank

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Norwegian_Blue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,928
Message 3 of 8

Re: Brand new T440s (original 256GB SSD) - Error 2100: Detection Error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

Thank you for your reply!
How can I check the disk type without opening the case and with no access
to windows?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,924
Message 4 of 8

BIOS setup menu -> Startup -> Boot list.
ATA HDD0 is a primary drive.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g  |  x220 • hdd, msata ssd, 3g, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное

Norwegian_Blue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,909
Message 5 of 8

Thanks again.
BIOS only shows "ATA HDD0" without any specific name next to it. Does that
mean it doesn't even "see" this SSD drive?
If so, the problem might be even worse that I thought.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,906
Message 6 of 8

Error 2100 and "invisible" drive in the BIOS might have the same cause firmware related.

So there are two options:
1. check laptop parts list by its serial number, take installed SSD Lenovo p/n and find its real manufacturer model. That's not so difficult action except of to recognize SSD p/n within the parts list.
There is a page below:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/ibasepartslookup

2. disassemble laptop and look at the drive label.

Norwegian_Blue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,868
Message 7 of 8

The model mentioned on the box it arrived in is "SBB0A06194 HD 256GB SSD SATA3 Opal 2.0 Cap".

However, the da*n thing won't even turn on now. I have no idea what happened to this machine. I tried with and without the external battery, with and without A/C. I also tried doing a power reset but nothing happened. It just won't turn on.

I'm sending it back to Lenovo.

Norwegian_Blue
Paper Tape
Views: 1,805
Message 8 of 8

Things just got worse after the machine came back from Lenovo service. Smiley Mad

They replaced the M/B (probably because of the power failure I experienced) and the HD. Reinstalled win8.1 but left me with updating all windows updates and lenovo driver updates.

Soon BSOD started to appear:

"dxgmm1.sys"

"system_service_exception";

"memory_management";

"unexpected_kernel_error";

"kernel_security_check_failure"

At the same time the WiFi came and went, froze and reappeared until it has stopped working completely. Under device manager I see the "2x2 11b/g/n" card with a yellow triangle and exclamation mark. 

Lenovo support refused to send a replacement card so I need to send my machine again, 3 days after it came back from Lenovo. Overall, I had it for only 2 months. Lenovo can't offer a replacement laptop in the meantime or any kind of compensation for the fact that I'm without a working machine for 2 weeks now.

Top Kudoed Authors