Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Whitenack
What's DOS?
Views: 4,322
Message 1 of 7

Brand new T510 won't wake up from sleep and doesn't turn on consistently

Just got my T510 yesterday.  I turned it on and it booted up with no problems.  I started running windows updates and other "new pc" kind of things.  I got busy with other things, and had to leave the machine for a while.  Came back, and noticed it was sleeping or hibernating or something.  The green power light was glowing off and on like it was asleep, but I could not wake it up.  I tried the power button, the track pad, the keys, cntl alt del...but nothing work.  The only thing that worked was holding the power down until it forced off.

Turned it back on and it booted up like normal.  Went to the power saving settings and turned off the sleep settings, then found the manual sleep settings and put it to sleep.  Had the same trouble getting it out of sleep so had to force it off again, but again, it booted back up with no problems.

This morning, I go to turn the laptop on and it won't turn on reliably.  I press the on button several different ways....holding it down for a long time, giving it a quick press, giving it 3 or 4 quick presses, press while standing on my head, etc.  However, nothing seems to work.  Then, I'll just give it a random press after I've just about given up and it will start up like normal. 

It is plugged into the wall, so it doesn't seem to be a battery issue, and I have tried unplugging it from the wall and trying that as well.  I see it is getting power.  When it does come on, it shows that it is plugged in and the battery is at full charge.

I haven't completely tested this theory, but I might be seeing some results if I press the power button for 5-10 seconds, then wait a few seconds, then press it again.  Either it is my imagination, or that has worked a few times. 

Any thoughts?

Whitenack
What's DOS?
Views: 4,298
Message 2 of 7

Re: Brand new T510 won't wake up from sleep and doesn't turn on consistently

Just an update to my own post. I have tried it out a few times and the way I get it to turn on consistently is to long press the on button for ~5 seconds, then wait ~5 seconds, then press the button normally. Surely this isn't the way it is supposed to be, is it? It isn't some security feature?
Guru
Views: 4,294
Message 3 of 7

I don't think that is normal behavior. The long press is possibly causing the system to force power down, which would then allow it to power back up.

Just to make sure, all drivers are up-to-date? Are there pending BIOS updates? If so, you'll want to make sure it can restart properly before applying the BIOS update

Try an Ubuntu LiveUSB or LiveCD to rule out software issues.

If that doesn't work, try taking out the battery and AC, pressing the power button ten times, then holding it for ten. This is usually the remedy for another issue, but try it anyway.

If that doesn't work, then try resetting the BIOS settings. Then try unplugging the CMOS battery overnight. Otherwise, might have to call for warranty.

W520: 2960XM, Q2000M @ 1091/1380, 32GB RAM, 500GB&750GB HDD & 500GB SSD, FHD&MB168B+
X61T: L7500, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, XGA screen, Ultrabase
W550s: 5600U, K620M at 1164/1281, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, 3K touchscreen
X200s: SL9400, 6GB RAM, 64GB SD card, WXGA+ screen
TPT1: 1839-23U
Whitenack
What's DOS?
Views: 4,284
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for the reply.  That makes sense.  I called Lenevo tech and they tried reinstalling the power manager, but that didn't do anything.  They setup a return to ship it back. 

Jmccoart
Paper Tape
Views: 4,271
Message 5 of 7

Here: http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T500-wake-up-issues/m-p/201887/highlight/fa...

Perhaps this relates....?

ADMIN EDIT - content that violates community rules removed.

Whitenack
What's DOS?
Views: 4,267
Message 6 of 7

More evidence that this is the issue...

Last night after I "shut it down" I unplugged it.  This morning, the battery is dead.  I plug it up to electric and press the button like a normal computer and it starts up like it is supposed to.

barrycox
Paper Tape
Views: 2,894
Message 7 of 7

you can search the forums and seems like a ton of people have t510's w500's etc etc that won't wake up after a sleep/hibernation.

i do too....

seems like everyone has tried updating drivers (i did too....) and to no avail.

there seems to be no solution to these issues.

i ran powercfg -energy from the command line and i thought i had it!  i got an error message saying the Conexent audio driver was keeping the laptop from going to sleep!  however i disabled the audio on device manager and it still didn't go to sleep and wake up. 

(even though the error on powercfg -energy is gone).

is there no solution to this?  seems like some combination of the latest bios/video and audio drivers have caused this...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors