cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pokeyman76
What's DOS?
Views: 2,323
Message 11 of 27

Re: Brand new Thinkpad T500 w/ Intel 5100 Wireless card - Intermittent network drops

Well, the intermittent drops eventually did go away. I’d like to claim with my years of working on crap like this that I found and fixed the problem, but, alas, I can’t. It wasn’t a driver, it wasn’t AC or a hardware or router problem! Get this now… it was a power setting. Turns out, the laptop gets shipped with a default power setting that will disconnect it from the network. My daughter, who I bought the laptop for, who is very non technical, googled and found the solution. Bless her heart! I feel humbled!

8bit
Punch Card
Views: 2,317
Message 12 of 27

Re: Brand new Thinkpad T500 w/ Intel 5100 Wireless card - Intermittent network drops

@pokeyman76 wrote:

Well, the intermittent drops eventually did go away. I’d like to claim with my years of working on crap like this that I found and fixed the problem, but, alas, I can’t. It wasn’t a driver, it wasn’t AC or a hardware or router problem! Get this now… it was a power setting. Turns out, the laptop gets shipped with a default power setting that will disconnect it from the network. My daughter, who I bought the laptop for, who is very non technical, googled and found the solution. Bless her heart! I feel humbled!

Ya know, this actually doesn't surprise me.  It seems more and more problems are being traced back to power options.  I've seen it in regards to gaming, 'cpu whine' and now this.

kwutzke
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,294
Message 13 of 27

Hello,

I had network disconnects all around for months. I managed to solve it by somehow setting the router mode to use wireless mode g only, if I remember correctly... forget about mixing a/b and g...

Karsten

jrlen105
Punch Card
Views: 2,272
Message 14 of 27

I had a T400 and tried everything that was suggested here, as well as having tech support replacing the wirless card twice.  It's not the software, its the intel wireless card.  They work good on some routers and terrible on others.  Some of the thinkpads come with a "thinkpad wirless network card" instead of "intel wireless", I would try getting that one, maybe its made by a different manufacturer.  In any case, the "dell branded" wireless cards (made by 3com I believe) have always been rock solid for me in all 4 Dells I have owned.  I can be outside the house and recieve all bars with no problems.  The intel card required me to be in the same room as the router and it still dropped, including the replacement cards, and I had the same problems on other wireless connections at work.

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 2,158
Message 15 of 27

My wife's laptop has suffered this problem from the beginning. I tried all the solutions offered in the forums to no avail. I noticed over recent days that the laptop is sending a DHCP request out every minute. I don't know if this is related to the recurring disconnections. Using Wireshark I noticed that the request was being sent from 0.0.0.0 - delving further, the request was being sent from the onboard LAN! So I disabled the onboard LAN last night. I only had a few minutes to test it before I had to hit the hay but it was no longer sending DHCP requests. I don't know if this fixed the recurring disconnections - I'll let you know.
lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,155
Message 16 of 27

go into control panel -> system -> hardware manager -> wireless card property -> select power saving off, power output to maximum and roaming aggressiveness to low.

have a try to see whether this solution works.  

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,965
Message 17 of 27

No change.

A friend who used to sell Lenovos said they used to see lots of problems with bad wrapping of the antenna. Maybe this is the issue?

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,902
Message 18 of 27

I give in - I've tried everything I can find on these forums and elsewhere. Even my expert friend is stumped. I'll have to use a static IP as losing my wireless connection anywhere from every 1 minute to every 15 minutes is ridiculous. Especially as I upgraded to the Intel wireless chipset. I can guarantee I won't be buying any more Lenovo products.
stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,773
Message 19 of 27

The only thing I hadn't tried was changing the security to WEP - I couldn't configure it properly. I tried again, configured WEP and so far no disconnections. Will do lots of testing and hopefully it's fixed.
Highlighted
foxfyr
Paper Tape
Views: 1,719
Message 20 of 27

I still suspect that the NIC 'sleep' setup suggested above by lead_org in Hardware Manager is the issue - this has become a perennial problem with laptops and desktops with this issue.

I had the same problem upon first configuration. It seems almost all machines (not just Lenovo) are coming configured for NIC shutdown/'sleep' by default now...  A poor man's security solution...

But, may I also suggest you upgrade your wireless security to 802.11i-AES (often referred to as WPA2). 

If you are still running WEP, the network timeout is your friend! ;-))

WEP has been obsolete ever since Jesse Walker published his Unsafe at Any Key Size (along with a few others' contributions as well regarding the improper use of the RC4 cipher primitive) umpteen years ago. Don't believe me?... Download AirSnort and WEPCrack and have some fun. Of course, you may then wonder why you are paying for Internet access. ;-))

Best of luck!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors