cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,637
Message 21 of 27

Re: Brand new Thinkpad T500 w/ Intel 5100 Wireless card - Intermittent network drops

Thanks but if I switch back to WPA2 I'll have to suffer constant disconnections again. And that would really annoy myself and my wife. I'm wondering more why I bothered to upgrade to the Intel wireless card when I purchased the laptop. Not a happy camper.
Burd
Punch Card
Views: 1,605
Message 22 of 27

Re: Brand new Thinkpad T500 w/ Intel 5100 Wireless card - Intermittent network drops

If you happen to own a older D-Link router, this might be relevant:

I've had the disconnect issue with a T400s (using the Realtek wireless LAN min-PCIe adapter II)-- oddly enough, the most frequent bouts of disconnects happened when I was within 10 feet of the router.  At the other end of the house,  I hadd disconnects from time to time, but not as often. But it was so frequent where I usuallly used the computer that it was a huge problem.

I finally fixed it (based on 2 disconnect-free days, a record) by going into the settings of my router (a D-Link DI 624) and changing the wireless mode from "Super G with dynamic Turbo" to   "G only".  Apparently Super G (a common feature of  D-Link routers prior to the latest N-draft generation) is a mode that provided extra speed with D-Link proprietary adapters, and supposedly was  backwards compatible with standard G mode (and, based on my experience with *other* brands of b/g/n adapters, it was.  I haven't used a D-Link adapter in quite a while and had forgotten it was on).  However it definitely doesn't play nice with the Thinkpad's mini-PCIe adapter II, at least at close range.

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,572
Message 23 of 27

Thanks.. I have a Belkin MIMO router. 

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,423
Message 24 of 27

If I use WEP, I don't think I suffer any disconnections. But I'm stuck at 54Mbps, which is unusable, especially when watching videos. I can manage 300Mbps using WPA2 (AES), but I get constant disconnections. Maybe my wife will let me delete the Lenovo software and just use the standard Vista software.

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,325
Message 25 of 27

Still suffering the same old problem day after day. I'm going to look into replacing the Intel 5300 with something else.

dave_f
What's DOS?
Views: 1,306
Message 26 of 27

I have a brand new T400 with Intel 5100, a Linksys WRT54G router. I am not using Access Connections. Windows XP. Wireless disconnects and reconnects intermittently, and is very slow all the time (actually, long pauses of no data followed by reasonably fast bursts). I have modified all the power settings for the 5100 so it is at max power and no sleep. Using WPA2.

I think the card is the problem, if I connect via ethernet cable to the router, everything blazes along with no problems.

Any solutions? Any suggestions for an alternate card to the Intel 5100?

Dave.

stodge
Punch Card
Views: 1,221
Message 27 of 27

I installed the latest drivers from Intel (13.x?) and things seem ok. No disconnections for a few hours. Who knows what'll happen after a reboot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors