cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MnemonicCarrier
Punch Card
Views: 6,486
Message 1 of 16

Brightness not adjustable on ThinkPad T450 after changing screen (to LGD03FF)

I just changed my ThinkPad T450 laptop screen to a full-HD IPS display. The new panel (display) shows up in the Device Manager with Hardware ID MONITOR\LGD03FF.

While the screen works, I can no longer adjust the brightness in Windows 10 - it's always on full brightness and the brightness key combinations no longer work (nor do any of the Windows 10 software brightness controls). The brightness adjustment keys work perfectly in Linux (Ubuntu 16.04), and they work if I go in to the BIOS.

The monitor is showing up in the Device Manager as "Generic PnP Monitor".

Any idea how to get brightness working in Windows 10 with the LGD03FF panel?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 6,482
Message 2 of 16

Re: Brightness not adjustable on ThinkPad T450 after changing screen (to LGD03FF)

unless you have a panel with an fru number corresponding to t450, the edid (configuration chip on the panel) won't have the correct info to allow brightness control.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
MnemonicCarrier
Punch Card
Views: 6,417
Message 3 of 16

Re: Brightness not adjustable on ThinkPad T450 after changing screen (to LGD03FF)

Hi richk. Thanks for your prompt reply, much appreviated, even though it wasn't the answer I was hoping for. It just seems unbelievable that the brightness can be changed in:

a) The BIOS

b) Other operating systems

and yet in Windows 10 it cannot. One of the (many) reasons why I always buy Lenovo is because of how easy it is to change hardware. I can understand from a business point of view why it's desirable for Lenovo to lock customers in to buying "genuine Lenovo hardware", but to prevent hardware from working properly just because it's not "genuine Lenovo" just seems wrong.

I use Linux most of the time anyway, but I find the reasoning behind this panel (or any compatible hardware) not working on Windows 10 very disheartening.

Janaale
What's DOS?
Views: 6,089
Message 4 of 16

Hello MnemonicCarrier I have the same issue. I have Lenovo ThinkPad T450s and my screen cracked so I had to change my screen and changed but after I have changed my screen, I can no longer adjust brightness on my Laptop. 

But I've noticed you said that you can change the brightness in the BIOS. I would like to know how can you change the brightness in the BIOS because I would like to show this as evidence to the repair shop I got from the screen. And tell them that the new screen won't work with Lenovo Laptops.

I hope you understand and would help me out here, thank you.

Git2k
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,884
Message 5 of 16

Hello,, i have the same fru number for the t450 but still the button fuction does not work.. how do i go about the edid thing?

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 4,855
Message 6 of 16

Just to be sure, you have FRU 04X5916 printed on the back label on the screen?

ThinkPad T61, T420, T440p
Moto Z Play
Git2k
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,830
Message 7 of 16

I purchased the replacement lcd at laptopscreen.com and i have the fru number 04x0434 which is at the back of my broken lcd and they gave me the one that is compatible with it. They even asked for the brand name which is samsung LTN140AT31 and they confirmed that it should work with the replacement LCD that they shipped to me. But after installing it, the function f5/f6 are not working to adjust the brightness. So now, i returned it back and hopefully they give me the one that works.

MnemonicCarrier
Punch Card
Views: 4,816
Message 8 of 16

Sorry for the late reply.

But I've noticed you said that you can change the brightness in the BIOS.

I should have been more clear: you cannot change the brightness within the BIOS and have it persist after booting up your operating system. What I meant was while the BIOS screen is open, you can use the brightness keys and they will adjust the brightness of the BIOS screen. You cannot "set the brightness" within the BIOS.

The only option is to install Linux. That's what I did, and haven't looked back.

carpediem90
Token Ring
Views: 4,802
Message 9 of 16

@Git2K, so your replacement/compatible screen didn't have FRU? If I understood right, you had it on the original broken screen and then you got compatible one (without FRU on it).

ThinkPad T61, T420, T440p
Moto Z Play
Git2k
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,023
Message 10 of 16

ohh.. to my excitement, i was not able to check the fru number at the back or even check if it has one. i'll check again if another one comes back to me. 

yes you understood it right. i have the fru on the original broken lcd but when i purchased a replacement online, it only says: 

"LCD Screen 14.0-inch WideScreen (12"x7.4") WXGA (1366x768) HD Matte LED compatible with Lenovo FRU 04X0434 / Lifetime Warranty."

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors