Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
oliver828
Paper Tape
Views: 1,199
Message 1 of 7

Broken T400, Won't Boot to Windows

I am considering purchasing a broken Thinkpad T400. After the Thinkpad logo screen, the computer goes to a black screen with a cursor in the top left. I realize that this scenario is vague, but what could potentially be causing such a problem?

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,194
Message 2 of 7

Re: Broken T400, Won't Boot to Windows

go into your bios menu by pressing F1 during startup, and then run a hdd diagnostic.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,188
Message 3 of 7

The only thing I can think  of that might be fixable without special equipment is a damaged usb port.  If pins are shorted, they can be straightened

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,183
Message 4 of 7

Here's one completely out of left field.  This can be a symptom of a Rescue and Recovery restore to a new completely blank hard drive - at least for some versons of OS and R&R.

Restoring from a USB hard drive or a second hard drive results in a blinking cursor

I realize that this is extremely unlikely (unless the previous owner just did a restore) but your OP invites wild speculation.

[edit] On further consideration, burn and boot up (or boot from USB flash drive) a Ubuntu Linux live CD, or Windows install DVD, or most anything else.  That should give you an idea about the general health of the machine.  If you can't get that far, something is very wrong. The Linux live CD will exercise most everything.  There are some Linux tools like gParted or even the command-line fdisk that will give you some idea of the health of your hard drive and SATA controller.

Good luck,

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

oliver828
Paper Tape
Views: 1,159
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Can this scenario be indicative of motherboard failure (i.e. a problem beyond my ability to repair) ? I'm trying to determine whether the laptop is worth getting involved with. 

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 1,153
Message 6 of 7

Run the hdd diagnostic first and see what happen.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
ixlr8te
Paper Tape
Views: 985
Message 7 of 7

did you purchase it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals