Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
raoulcousins
Paper Tape
Views: 6,986
Message 1 of 5

Built-in wifi stopped working on T430s in Windows 10 and Ubuntu

I'm running a Thinkpad T430s with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. After a few days, the wifi disconnected and won't reconnect. Wireless card is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205. 

Network Settings has the wifi switched to off. Clicking it to switch to on changes nothing - it shows as on, but connections don't work, and if I close the Network Settings window and re-open, the switch is back to off.

Windows 10 will not switch off of airplane mode. Clicking the mode button does nothing - the icon stays blue. Ethernet works fine. An external USB wifi dongle works fine, but I'd like to use the built-in wifi.

Things I have tried:

• Run all updates through Windows Update.

• Clean reinstall Windows 10 using an install disk created from Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Reformatted the main partition for this reinstall.
  • Run all updates through Lenovo Companion, including a BIOS update.
  • Reset the BIOS to factory settings.
  • Made sure WLAN is enabled in the BIOS.
  • Made sure that the hardware wifi switch is set to on. Switched it back and forth between on and off, to make sure what I thought was on was actually on.
  • Replaced the wifi card with another card. Made sure that the cables are connected firmly, the card is seated and the screw replaced. Both the original and replacement cards are Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6205.
  • Rescanned for hardware changes in Device Manager. Uninstalled the wireless card. Disabled it. Enabled it. Checked for driver updates.
  • Booted into a live Ubuntu 14.04.3 live mode from USB. Ubuntu says that the wifi is disabled by hardware switch. The command rfkill list all returns: 0: phy0: Wireless LAN Soft blocked: no Hard blocked: yes

What else can I do? Is this a motherboard problem? Warranty is expired on the machine.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,956
Message 2 of 5

Re: Built-in wifi stopped working on T430s in Windows 10 and Ubuntu

Have you inadvertently just turned off the WiFi Radio via the switch that is, I believe, located on the right side of the laptop up front?  

Even if it is on, try toggling it a few times and see if the WiFi radio will turn on.    If not, the switch may be bad, but can be replaced, or the ribbon cable just loose.

If it were me, I would probably spray the switch with some electronic cleaner to clean it, and if need be, remove it to clean and check the ribbon connection to see if after cleaning it works.  

See page 89 (1140 Bluetooth wireless radio switch FPC) of the Hardware Maintenance Manual below

Hardware Maintenance Manual ThinkPad T430s and T430si

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/t430s_t430si_hmm_en_0b48538_01.pdf

Good luck,      

raoulcousins
Paper Tape
Views: 6,923
Message 3 of 5

Have definitely toggled the hardware switch many times. I'll check the ribbon cable. I'm not very handy so this is a little intimidating, but it's worth a shot.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 6,908
Message 4 of 5

Be sure to keep track of all the screws and what parts they hold, because they will all start looking the same after a while yet are not (snack sized ziplock bags and a permanent marker work great), and take lots of digital photos and notes as you go along.   

In case you need to order parts

Description                                          Part Number

Bluetooth Switch Board                      04W1700 

Bluetooth Switch Cable                      04W1687

I found this (both switch and cable) with a quick search, but a more thorough search might find a better deal.

Lenovo ThinkPad T430s Bluetooth Wireless Switch Board with Cable 04W1687

http://www.notebookparts.com/lenovo-thinkpad-t430s-bluetooth-wireless-switch-board-with-cable-04w168...

Good Luck,

raoulcousins
Paper Tape
Views: 6,877
Message 5 of 5

Woo hoo! Thanks for the tip on the labelled sandwich baggies. The ribbon cable leading to the switch was disconnected.

All good now!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors