cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daiyue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 644
Message 1 of 5

CPU TDP does not explain actual power consumption?

Hi, I tried to install a i7-3612QM to my thinkpad t430 (installed with i5-3210m) with 65 Watt Power Adapter. First, I removed the battery, and when I powered up the laptop and booted into the OS, everything is fine. Second, when I installed the battery back on, and booted the laptop, got into the OS, and the lenovo power manager popped up a message saying the current Power Adapter can not supply enough power to the laptop and suggested buying a bigger one. Now, both CPUs have TDP of 35Watt, so I am wondering is it the real figure, and I searched the internet, but somehow, CPU Boss indicates that both CPUs have the same typical power consumpation of 28.44Watt. So I am completely confused by now. What is happening?

cheers

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 600
Message 2 of 5

Re: CPU TDP does not explain actual power consumption?

35 watts is the maximum thermal dissipation value, not the actual power consumption.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Guru
Views: 588
Message 3 of 5

Running an i7 with a 65W adapter is a *very* bad idea...although I'm rather impressed with the fact that the Power Manager warned you about that.

There's a lot more to power draw/heat issues than the mere TDP figure. You can bet that an i7 will pull more power than i5 of the same generation while idling, let alone during peak use.

With that said, a good used 90W adapter will run you 15 quid or so...not the biggest of investments, but a smart one nonetheless.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.
daiyue
Fanfold Paper
Views: 583
Message 4 of 5

@ajkula66 wrote:

Running an i7 with a 65W adapter is a *very* bad idea...although I'm rather impressed with the fact that the Power Manager warned you about that.

There's a lot more to power draw/heat issues than the mere TDP figure. You can bet that an i7 will pull more power than i5 of the same generation while idling, let alone during peak use.

will the 65 watt power adapter harm the laptop anyway? If I removed the battery, I can still use it without knowing issues.

Guru
Views: 565
Message 5 of 5

First of all, you're not supposed to run a ThinkPad without a battery. That's the way they were designed.

I can guarantee that you'll see throttling if you run that machine on a 65W adapter with no battery. Not to mention that the adapter is likely to start overheating after a while.

Bottom line, spend 15 quid, get a 90W adapter and call it a day.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: R60F, R500F, T61, T410

Collecting dust: T60

Enjoying retirement: A31p, T42p,

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

Starting Thursday, 08/14/2014 I'll be away from the forums until further notice. Please do NOT send private messages since I won't be able to read them. Thank you.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors