cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
destfin
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 1 of 7

CPU works louder when I am plugging my laptop in.

I noticed that my CPU works louder when I am plugging my laptop in.

I am using an HWMonitor Version 1.40.0 Driver version 148 to check my status of CPU.
I am worried that my laptop is going to damage. HWMonitor shows or my every core there is a Value around 3600 - 3900 MHz.
When I am disconnecting my power supply from the socket HWMonitor shows 690 - 980 MHz.
It's a big difference.

Is it something wrong with my laptop, power supply or maybe there is something wrong with my an electrical installation at home?

What should I check or fix?

Net7
Punch Card
Views: 177
Message 2 of 7

Re: CPU works louder when I am plugging my laptop in.

Confused as to what your asking truly.

Missing info

-are these speeds during USAGE aka LOAD, or when idle

-does it ever go down or up depending on being unplugged or plugged in

-are you running the latest BIOS update for the laptop from lenovo

Alas, some basic's

-Generally speaking, yes, your computer will have a HIGHER performance profile for all its components when it has access to the kind of power you can only get when plugged into a stable constant power source, this is both including and excluding BOOST frequency.

-Stop using HWMonitor, get HWiNFO, not that its necessarilly going to tell you different info, but it has a history (mostly with AMD but some with Intel even) of showing incorrect or easily misunderstood information so avoid it like the plague

-Check your windows/linux (whatever OS you may be using) power profile, in conjunction with the first basic statement some power profile's are set to use 100% CPU frequencey when plugged in for both MIN and MAX, where unplugged MIN is 0% (unless in use) and MAX can be anything up to 100%

Without the missing info and a few other things I cant think of at the moment, what your explaining sounds about like its operating as it is expected to.

Guru
Views: 165
Message 3 of 7

There's nothing wrong. Simply, when you're plugged into power your laptop is letting the CPU work powerfully. But, when you're disconnected, the laptop makes the CPU work slower to save battery life.

There's nothing to check or fix. If the temperatures are too hot though, you can try undervolting your CPU. Too hot would be temperatures reaching 90C or higher.
destfin
Paper Tape
Views: 128
Message 4 of 7

I have updated BIOS for the laptop from Lenovo today. I wanted to update the rest of the drivers just in case.

I downloaded and installed the Lenovo Service Bridge. I would like to open this application but when I am clicking on this file nothing happened.

Even if I run as administrator. The Lenovo Service Bridge doesn't start.

Do you have any idea why?
Guru
Views: 123
Message 5 of 7

I think they replaced Lenovo Service Bridge with Lenovo Vantage
destfin
Paper Tape
Views: 116
Message 6 of 7

Yes, you are right. I will install all updates and patches and I will check again. Thanks.
Guru
Views: 105
Message 7 of 7

You can also get Lenovo Vantage through the microsoft store if for some reason it doesn't install automatically.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors