cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheungtsw
Punch Card
Views: 295
Message 1 of 6

Can I create a recovery partition and then use it to install it on a bigger SSD (T460) ?

Can I "Create a recovery drive" from the Control panel which will create an USB image and then use it to install windows on a bigger SSD?

This will save me time to install a fresh Win and then download all the drivers again.

Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 234
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can I create a recovery partition and then use it to install it on a bigger SSD (T460) ?

Hello

Sure. The method depends on the OS version preinstalled - Lenovo provided for win7 and OS built-in for win8/10..

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

cheungtsw
Punch Card
Views: 202
Message 3 of 6

Re: Can I create a recovery partition and then use it to install it on a bigger SSD (T460) ?

May I know how to use the usb drive I had created to install onto a bigger SSD? I also need to partition the new/bigger SSD so I have a data drive. Thx.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 200
Message 4 of 6

The recovery media creation tools keep the service partitions size as ms/Lenovo recommend and remaining drive capacity for the OS partition, independently of the overall drive capacity. After the recovery process you might shrink the system partition and create the new one for data.

Your data, application installed etc. will not be placed on that recovery media, of course.

Another way is to clone entire existing drive to the new one even if the latter has a bigger capacity. The details for this task depend on the OS installed, cloning tool, the new drive manufacturer, precence of the external USB enclosure for the drive (in case the new SSD isn't m.2 drive).

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

cheungtsw
Punch Card
Views: 198
Message 5 of 6

#1 is fine with me. Do you have the steps? Thx.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 196
Message 6 of 6

Here you are, for win8/8.1
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht080887

The link for win10 is inside.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors