cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Phil18
What's DOS?
Views: 291
Message 1 of 4

Can I create recovery disks using my laptop HD as external drive?

My Thinkpad T420 hard drive crashed in a really bad way. I can't load windows (7) and windows repair says it can't help me. I removed my hard drive and put it in a usb enclosure and connected it to a different pc. I can see the recovery folder/drive and my data drive as two different drives in "my computer". What I'm trying to figure out is if there's a way I can create the Win7 recovery discs this way, through what is now an external hard drive. The backup PC I'm using is XP, but I can get another Win7 PC if that makes a difference.

TIA!

tripplec
Bit Torrent
Views: 289
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can I create recovery disks using my laptop HD as external drive?

No
T520 Model 4239 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2860QMbr>; Nvidia NVS 4200M Win 10 64bit
Z70-80 I7 - 5500U 16GB GB - 1TB HD Win 10 64bit FHD 17.3", G840 w/2GB

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 275
Message 3 of 4

@Phil18...

I'll offer a few more thoughts.

The recovery partition you're seeing is meant to be accessed by software in the OS partition to enable creation of a Recovery DVD set, or, through a boot-interruption sequence to enable a direct-to-disk recovery of the OS partition. Since you mention that the drive has "crashed in a really bad way", I'm presuming that it doesn't boot any longer.

In this case, my recommendation to you is to contact Service and discuss obtaining a Factory Recovery Disk Set. There may or may not be a charge for this. Contact information is below. Once you have the set, along with a new drive, you'll easily be able to build up the new drive to the factory out-of-box state.

Country or RegionProductLanguageTelephone numberHours of operation
Israel ThinkPad and ThinkCentre Hebrew,
English
+972-3-531-3900 - Givat Shmuel Service Center 8 AM - 5 PM
Sunday - Thursday

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Retired SuperMod
Retired SuperMod
Views: 271
Message 4 of 4

Hi Phil18, welcome to the forum,

@Phil18 wrote:

My Thinkpad T420 hard drive crashed in a really bad way......

as you didn't mention it, felt I'd ask. Was the crash due to the drive being defective, have you tested the drive for integrity, or was this a crash due to software for whatever reason?

If the drive checks out after a test you could simply recover the drive to factory by pressing enter at boot and then selecting F11 to recover the system and continue using it, and create discs just in case.

If it's definitely a defective drive, depending on the severity of the defect, I have sometimes been able to clone a drive to a new drive and then perform an OS repair or system recovery - depending.  When I've managed to get it to work I have used an Acronis rescue disc with a new drive inserted in the system and the old drive in an external USB caddy.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors