Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lrcarrasco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,534
Message 1 of 8

Can I use M2 slot as second SSD storage on T450

Hi,

I have the T450 with 240GB ssd, which seems to me a bit short. I'm wondering if I can use the M.2 which is oficialy for cache to use a 42mm 250 ssd as secondary storage?

Something like this

MyDigitalSSD 256GB Super Boot Drive 42mm SATA III (6G) M.2 2242 NGFF SSD - MDM242-SB-256

Thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,512
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can I use M2 slot as second SSD storage on T450

Hello and welcome,

That should work fine. I've  been using one of those as the primary OS drive in a T450s.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

lrcarrasco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,501
Message 3 of 8

There is no extra configuration needed right?

Just plug it in the M.2 slot and done. I guess I have to format the same

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 11,496
Message 4 of 8

If you're not going to put the OS on it, you should only have to initialize, partition, and format.

Just to verify: there's nothing in it now?  Since you have an SSD in the main bay there shouldn't be a cache drive installed - but what about a WWAN card?

One thing that concerns me a little:  the base spec refers to that slot as being compatible with a single-sided m.2 drive.  I had no problem installing that MyDigital (which is double-sided) in the T450s.  I don't have access to a T450 to verify that it will fit properly.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

avow
Paper Tape
Views: 11,444
Message 5 of 8

I have a TS128GMTS400 (transcend 128GB m.2 42mm) and I am running my OS off it, and I have the factory ST500LM021-1KJ152 mechanical for general storage. Works great.  Not sure if its one or two sided, but it didn't seem particularily cramped.

As far as the OS is concerned, its just another SATA port.  I did need to turn off ALPM otherwise I had problems with the SATA link dropping.  This may not be a problem for Windows.

Hope this helps.

lrcarrasco
Blue Screen Again
Views: 11,435
Message 6 of 8

Yeah nothing on it, I can share a picture with you of the T450 as soon as I have a chance to take it.

Thanks

v_hat
Paper Tape
Views: 11,133
Message 7 of 8

Hi all,

Any feedback on your usage lrcarrasco? Is it working fine with your T450? Did you have to do some configuration?

I plan to upgrade my T450 with M.2 SSD as boot device if possible, any advice or tip would be great.

Thanks a lot,

Victor

redboy33
What's DOS?
Views: 8,157
Message 8 of 8

This the the ssd I use in my T450.  Works as a boot drive or data.  I dual boot UEFI only between Windows 10 (on the 2.5 internal ssd) and Fedora 23 (on the 2242 m.2 ssd)  I haven't had a single issue so far (a little over a month of daily use 8-10 hours a day.

Good luck.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors