Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LONGMAN
Not applicable
Views: 465
Message 1 of 7

Can not update BIOS on T460P

Hi

I have a problem with updating BIOS on T460P via bootable image. After booting via USB or Disk, I see DOS message "bad command or file name"

What is it and how to fix?

LONGMAN
Not applicable
Views: 410
Message 2 of 7

Re: Can not update BIOS on T460P

Anyone?

otheos
Not applicable
Views: 396
Message 3 of 7

Do a search in the forum, you'll find others with similar issues and some solutions maybe. However most people update via Windows which works well. 

Having said that, I would (and actually do) wait a while longer to update the Bios, given all the trouble (search here) others had and the fact that intel/lenovo have already retracted one new bios for the T460p. 

Don't forget the bios update come at a performance price, it does fix however spectre/meltdown. 

Thinkpad T480s, Thinkpad T460p
x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 375
Message 4 of 7

LONGMAN,

how did you prepare the media with DOS to update the BIOS? It seems non standard way to update the BIOS from the DOS. I see at least the RAM drive on the screen shot you've provided. The error you've faced means something is wrong with the name or path to the file in the script, so it can't be found.

If you don't want to use Windows or haven't it installed, why don't you use standard tools from the BIOS update package to update the BIOS from EFI Shell on external media, bootable flash drive?

Edit: typo

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

LONGMAN
Not applicable
Views: 367
Message 5 of 7

@x220forme

how did you prepare the media with DOS to update the BIOS? It seems non standard way to update the BIOS from the DOS. I see at least the RAM drive on the screen shot you've provided. The error you've faced means something is wrong with the name or path to the file in the script, so it can't be found.

I used this guide for BIOS update on Linux https://github.com/akalongman/ubuntu-configuration#update-bios-on-lenovo

I did such update in the previous version of BIOS successfully.

If you don't want to use Windows or haven't it installed, why don't you use standard tools from the BIOS update package to update the BIOS from EFI Shell on external media, bootable flash drive?

Can you say more about this way?

x220forme
Not applicable
Views: 362
Message 6 of 7

I don't know anything about Linux but it seems there is a mistake in your manual on github, in geteltorito string.
Similar guide:
https://johnleach.co.uk/words/1641/booting-thinkpad-firmware-updater-from-a-usb-key

Anyway, in order to flash the BIOS from EFI Shell:
- extract the .exe package with BIOS update, as it's Inno Setup installer use appropriate tool. Or launch the package on Windows machine, allow to extract and save the package content, uncheck the box for real BIOS update, cancel the installation
- in the folder with extracted files find out the .txt file "Instruction US - BIOS flash USB memory key" and follow that. You might also read the batch file mkusbkey.bat

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

LONGMAN
Not applicable
Views: 354
Message 7 of 7

@x220formewrote:
I don't know anything about Linux but it seems there is a mistake in your manual on github, in geteltorito string.
Similar guide:
https://johnleach.co.uk/words/1641/booting-thinkpad-firmware-updater-from-a-usb-key

I've tried and the result is exactly same

I will try now your second solution

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors