Highlighted
T480DAW
Paper Tape
Views: 192
Message 1 of 8

Can someone help me with Storage solutions on my T480 - pics included

Hi,

I use my Laptop as a Music Studio.

I need a second ssd drive, I would like to run the os off. - I heard you could have 2nd one in the wwan slot? I'm happy to do that if someone can confirm my laptop can do this and make most of the speed. Otherwise I will will buy external usb 3 hard drive. I have no idea about thunderbolt or usb c drives.

But would like to make the most from the technology this laptop has. Thanks! I have opened my laptop and taken pics for you experts.

Lenovo T480 i7-8550U Kaby Lake (8th Gen)  Machine type20L6

@ 1.80Ghz - 16GB Ram - Intel UHD Graphics 620

4.jpgthumbnail.jpgthumbnail3.jpg

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 166
Message 2 of 8

Re: Can someone help me with Storage solutions on my T480 - pics included

Hello and welcome,

Per the base spec, a 2242 NVMe SSD in the WWAN slot should work:

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_T480/ThinkPad_T480_Spec.PDF

Some: 128GB M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 2,
in WWAN slot as 2nd Storage, mutually exclusive with WWAN

The 128GB capacity is what Lenovo offers, not a limit on the capacity of a user-installed drive.  NVMe in a 2242 size has only been offered by a few vendors.  I'm not sure what's out there now.  Pretty sure there are only 2 PCIe lanes to that slot so speed will be limited to around 1500MB/sec.

As an alternative, I've hand-built external drives using a 2280 NVMe drive and adapter that supports USB 3.0 and USB-C.  The one I use hits around 1000MB/sec.  1TB SSD + adapter for around $125US.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

T480DAW
Paper Tape
Views: 161
Message 3 of 8

Excellent thanks,

Regarding usb c, i have 2 taken up by ac power and dedicated hdmi adaptor 4k@ 60hz driving an external 42inch tv.

This of course leads me to zero ports. I have looked for a usb c multi adaptor to free ports but they are all 4k@30hz...plus you cant get an adaptor with multi usb c's yet..don't know why.
 If I did have a free port I wld just get a external samsung t5 hdd.

The other solution would be to buy a t480 dock, but they seem too expenisive right now.

would you have a picture of your hdd set up? Or is it essentially just a ssd m2 in an enclosure plugged into to usb 3/usb c?

i do want the fastest speeds, I assume these methods are faster than a ssd sata via usb 3?

Many thanks for your reply.

pin

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 156
Message 4 of 8

@T480DAW wrote:

would you have a picture of your hdd set up? Or is it essentially just a ssd m2 in an enclosure plugged into to usb 3/usb c?

(Full disclosure: linking my personal blog)

This is what I put together.  USB-C and USB 3.0 adapters come with and I've posted my speed tests.  There's more in the article than just the external drive aspect - I also use it for booting Linux and tools.

Not pushing these particular components (or the blog), but offering this as an example.

FOB Story II

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

T480DAW
Paper Tape
Views: 151
Message 5 of 8

Excellent i will check this out, thanks for the support and time!
T480DAW
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 6 of 8

Hi Just a quick one!

the 2242 m.2 have  'B&M key connectors', are they compatible with my wwan 'M' key connectors? Which is what my T480 has.?

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 138
Message 7 of 8

@T480DAW wrote:

Hi Just a quick one!

the 2242 m.2 have  'B&M key connectors', are they compatible with my wwan 'M' key connectors? Which is what my T480 has.?

thanks

I can't 100% answer that based on the information in the question.  In general, SATA drives are B + M while NVMe are M.  But not all vendors have stuck with that over the history of m.2.

Don't go solely by the slots.  You must use a PCIe/NVMe SSD in that WWAN slot, not a SATA SSD.  2242 NVMe drives are going to be scarce, but that's what the slot supports.

Z.

T480DAW
Paper Tape
Views: 135
Message 8 of 8

makes sense thanks, I think there are more drives available today.. I think I will upgrade my main drive to SSD Int 1TB 970 Evo Plus PCIe M.2 and find a 256gb for the WWAN slot for O/S
If that fails I will run all off the same drive...or do the external drive via usb c when I can free up the slot.
Such a pain in the backside,,, nothing is easy...miss the ole t420

Thanks

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors