Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
milindsaraswala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,818
Message 1 of 57

Can't access the BIOS in a Lenovo ThinkPad T430i

I have a ThinkPad T430i running Windows 10. I want to enable virtualization, so I need to access the BIOS to enable the feature.

When I reboot my laptop it asks me to press Enter to interrupt the booting and once I do it asks me to press F1 to enter the BIOS setup. However, when I press F1 it just shows me a blank screen.

I tried updating my BIOS to the latest version (from https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/nz/en/downloads/ds029252) but it still does the same thing.

How do I get access to the BIOS or how do I enable virtualization without going into the BIOS?

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,808
Message 2 of 57

Re: Can't access the BIOS in a Lenovo ThinkPad T430i

This is what the user guide states:

To start ThinkPad Setup, do the following:
1. Turn on the computer. When the logo screen is displayed, press the F1 key. The ThinkPad Setup
program main menu opens.

Note: If you have set a supervisor password, the ThinkPad Setup program main menu will be displayed
after you enter the password. You can start ThinkPad Setup by pressing Enter instead of entering the
supervisor password. However, you cannot change the parameters that are protected by the supervisor
password.

milindsaraswala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,793
Message 3 of 57

I did all this below

1. Press ThinkVantage button -> Press F1 -> Enter BIOS

or

1. Press F12 to run boot menu -> Press Tab to switch tab -> Select enter BIOS -> Hit Enter.

But once I select BIOS setup, it shows always blank (black) Screen nothing on the screen

Guru
Views: 1,787
Message 4 of 57

Hi,  If you are having problems getting into BIOS through F1 you can enter BIOS through windows 10.  

See below for other ways to get into BIOS.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT500222

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

milindsaraswala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,783
Message 5 of 57

Why on the earth people are not reading the whole question and just cometting on subject line. I am able to get option BIOS Setup Utility but when I select it is shwoing me blank screen (Blank Screen) No BIOS options.

I need to resole that. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,764
Message 6 of 57

Try to remove the storage drive(s). Then power on and enter the BIOS Setup. If the laptop isn't broken or some password hasn't been set, this should help.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

milindsaraswala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,760
Message 7 of 57

Thank you for reply. At last I got some reply which I am interested. But I like to inform my laptop boot in windows smoothly. But my Bios have supervisor password , password I know. So I want to know that still your method will work !!

sclexman
Bit Torrent
Views: 1,737
Message 8 of 57

Do you have a win8/10 system with Fast Startup enabled?

If so, disable this feature.

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html

Then do a FULL shutdown:

Press and hold the Shift key while selecting the Shutdown option in Windows. This will make the PC perform a full shutdown instead of a hybrid shutdown. Then F1 or F12 can be pressed successfully during startup.

Try this and report back your findings.

You stated:

When I reboot my laptop it asks me to press Enter to interrupt the booting

=

This is not documented in HMM/user guide.

X220FORME stated a boot without HDD installed. This works if HDD is password protected.

Green5178 stated a reboot via windows panels, which works IF fastboot is disabled. 

You stated password. Which password? HDD, supervisor, etc.  Supervisor is your answer.  Check.

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here.

milindsaraswala
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,720
Message 9 of 57

I did removed hard drive and try go to the BIOS but still same. Then I removed CMOS battery for 1-2 minute and than plug it back nothing happens.
I am really frustrated
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,719
Message 10 of 57

Any chance your laptop has a setting in the BIOS Setup for the 2nd (external) monitor as a default one? Connect it and try to enter the BIOS Setup.

Does your laptop have a discrete graphics along with integrated one?

Remove both the AC chargeer and the battery pack, press the power button and hold it for 20...30 seconds. This routine resets the BIOS/EC state, as well some power circuits.

Do the steps above without the storage drives connected.

If your laptop has the 2nd mSATA storage drive, remove it either.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors