Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
annegarcia
What's DOS?
Views: 583
Message 1 of 6

Can't boot T480S from External USB

I made a Windows install USB with Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool but when I insert the disk to T480S, the laptop skips the booting process and goes to desktop as normal.

Lenovo Employee Samcheng
Lenovo Employee
Views: 551
Message 2 of 6

Re: Can't boot T480S from External USB

Hi Annegarcia, Welcome to Lenovo Forums i would like to suggest you do belows check:

1. if your USB disk can booting on other machines?

2. Due to Win10 OS is default enable "Turn on fast startup". if your OS is Win10, during try to boot to USB, you need by Reboot OS, not Shut down + Reopen.

3. During reboot, please press "Enter" key and check if your USB disk is in Boot list.

4. F1 enter BIOS, and check USB is enable.

5. If not resolved for above, please change BIOS->Restart-> OS Optimize to Disable, press F9 load default. then try again. After used USB disk, you can change OS Optimize back "Enable" .

Please share your result, thank you very much.

Lenovo Employee Vmax100K
Lenovo Employee
Views: 548
Message 3 of 6

HI , 1. Please Press F12 during BIOS boot . 2. Select you USB device boot at boot list . 

annegarcia
What's DOS?
Views: 518
Message 4 of 6

@Samcheng wrote:

Hi Annegarcia, Welcome to Lenovo Forums i would like to suggest you do belows check:

1. if your USB disk can booting on other machines?

2. Due to Win10 OS is default enable "Turn on fast startup". if your OS is Win10, during try to boot to USB, you need by Reboot OS, not Shut down + Reopen.

3. During reboot, please press "Enter" key and check if your USB disk is in Boot list.

4. F1 enter BIOS, and check USB is enable.

5. If not resolved for above, please change BIOS->Restart-> OS Optimize to Disable, press F9 load default. then try again. After used USB disk, you can change OS Optimize back "Enable" .

Please share your result, thank you very much.

No, the same error on another machine.

Ransilp
Paper Tape
Views: 493
Message 5 of 6

@annegarcia wrote:

I made a Windows install USB with Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool but when I insert the disk to T480S, the laptop skips the booting process and goes to desktop as normal.

As you said,the same error on another machine,that must be something wrong with the Windows install USB.

Replace  Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool with a Windows Media Creation Tool,it can also make a Windows install USB disk.

Ransilp
Paper Tape
Views: 461
Message 6 of 6

@Ransilp wrote:

@annegarcia wrote:

As you said,the same error on another machine,that must be something wrong with the Windows install USB.

Replace  Microsoft USB/DVD Download tool with a Windows Media Creation Tool,it can also make a Windows install USB disk.

This is a tutorial for Windows Media Creation Tool:https://www.uubyte.com/windows-media-creation-tool-guide.html

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors