Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
arntj
Fanfold Paper
Views: 267
Message 1 of 4

Can't erase SSD on T440p

Hello, I have a T440p. It has an SSD drive that it came with originally. Now I wish to secure erase it. I've tried with the ThinkPad Drive Erase Utility but when I try to boot with it I only get the following error message:

ERROR: This utility works for Disk Encryption Drive or Solid State Drive only.

I've confirmed that the SSD functions normally, so it's odd that the erase utility won't recognize it. The web page for the utility specifically says it supports T440p.

I've also tried with Parted Magic, but it only says that the drive is "unsupported".

Does anyone have any advice on what to do here?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 221
Message 2 of 4

Re: Can't erase SSD on T440p

The utility resets the encryption key.  It doesn't write zeros to every sector.  I use Active Kill Disk (free version)

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
arntj
Fanfold Paper
Views: 207
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for your reply. I believe simply "zeroing" out an SSD using a classic wiping software is not recommended, as an SSD stores/manages data in a different way than a traditional HDD, defeating the purpose of attemting to "zero" it out manually.

So I was looking for a way to use the built-in wiping instructions (e.g. via ATA instructions) or otherwise wipe it out in an SSD compliant way. As mentioned I tried Parted Magic, but it didn't seem to support my SSD drive for some reason.

Using the erase utility would still be acceptable I suppose even if it just reset the encryption key, because then the data would be deleted permanently by any practical means. But the problem is it doesn't seem to recognize my SDD as an SDD. Some pointers on how to successfully use this utility or otherwise wiping my SSD in an SSD compliant way would still be appreciated.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 200
Message 4 of 4

From your original post, it looks to me like the drive isn't encrypted so there is no encryption key to reset.  That's why I suggested writing zeros.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors